Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Increasing precision of eigen value calculations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Although this problem is not specific to any version of Comsol but I am working with 2D Perpendicular waves application mode of Comsol 3.5a's RF-module to find waveguide modes of a metallic cylinder in THz regime. Theoretically, I know that the mode exists with effective index equal to, for example, 1.000002345. But this seems to be too precise for eigen value solver and as a result it sometimes compute neff to be (again an example) 0.9999345 or anything just above one, for example, 1.023.

Since this is quite a huge error in the specific scenario I am working in, I was wondering if there is a possibility to inform Comsol to decrease the tolerance in error between actual and computed values at the cost of increased iterations. Could you suggest some way to do this? I have already toiled with the idea of increasing/decreasing relative tolerance (as high as 1000 and as low as 1e-10) but no avail. I don't think meshing is a problem either as increasing and decreasing refinement doesn't have any impact. Until now I have worked with Pardiso solver but may be there is another solver better suited to calculations this sensitive?

Thanks

0 Replies Last Post 2011年1月24日 GMT-5 05:59
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Shakeeb Bin Hasan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.