Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

tangential field components?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have the following problem. I am modelling a 2D geometry (cross-section of a waveguide), and I need to compute Line integrals along a certain domain boundary of certain expressions which involve normal and tangential components of the field.

For instance, if I had a rectangular waveguide and wanted to compute the line integral of the normal component of electric field along one of the horizontal boundaries, I would simply use:

ewfd.Ey

as the expression under "Line Integration". This is a simple case, since Ey component is indeed normal to the boundary in this case.

However, in a more generic case (think for instance of a cylindrical waveguide), I can't just rely on Ex, Ey and Ez. Instead I would need to compute scalar product of the electric field vector (Ex,Ey,Ez) with the normal to the boundary unit vector.

Is there a smart way to do it in Comsol? I am sure there must be some embedded constants corresponding to different components of normal and tanjential vectors?

0 Replies Last Post 2017年3月15日 GMT-4 06:09
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Andriy Gorbach

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.