Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotational fluid motion in a closed system with a diluted species

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am convinced that this is a simple problem, but I am having difficulty in setting it up. Simply put, I have a cylinder, which has no inlets or outlets, and within it there needs to be fluid motion, which to start with is rotating at 30 RPM. Alongside this fluid motion, there is transport of diluted species physics in place, which will be affected by this fluid flow and hence, MUST BE COUPLED. I was wondering if anybody could provide a hint as to how I can achieve this?

I have fiddled around with the mixer module which includes options for inputting RPM, but I do not think this module can be coupled with my diluted species physics. That brings me to either laminar flow physics or turbulent mixing within the transport of diluted species physics, both of which ask for a velocity field, which I cannot seem to get right. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated, I am about to tear out my hair!

David

2 Replies Last Post 2017年4月24日 GMT-4 08:27

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年4月24日 GMT-4 08:20
Hi

in the CFD module, Single Phase Tutorials, rotating disk gives you the hints how to set up the rotational motion, just apply it within the cylinder. But if you have no inputs or outputs, what is the origin of mass transfer. A reaction in the cylinder?

BR
Lasse
Hi in the CFD module, Single Phase Tutorials, rotating disk gives you the hints how to set up the rotational motion, just apply it within the cylinder. But if you have no inputs or outputs, what is the origin of mass transfer. A reaction in the cylinder? BR Lasse

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年4月24日 GMT-4 08:27
Hello,

Yes, there is a reaction within the cylinder which produces the species at the centre, the bulk of the domain will be just fluid, water for the moment, and my hope is to see how much more quickly rotational fluid motion will lead to uniform concentration of the species within the fluid.

Thank you for posting,

David
Hello, Yes, there is a reaction within the cylinder which produces the species at the centre, the bulk of the domain will be just fluid, water for the moment, and my hope is to see how much more quickly rotational fluid motion will lead to uniform concentration of the species within the fluid. Thank you for posting, David

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.