Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic Insulation not applying correctly

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a figure-8 coil model that is widely used in medical treatment for neural diseases.
I have successfully modeled the kind of coil I wanted and created a boundary volume around it.

I'm interested in simulating its magnetic field intensity in both 2D planes and in 3D volume.

I have a problem that the magnetic insulation boundary conditions apply themselves to the coil itself - not to the boundary volume as planned, causing the results to appear only inside the conductors. For the boundary volume it tells that magnetic insulation is "not applicable".

I have attached a screenshot of the compiled result I got.

Would anyone have any ideas what could cause this.

Thank you for the help!

2 Replies Last Post 2017年5月11日 GMT-4 04:07

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年5月11日 GMT-4 03:26
Maybe I was wishing too much... The guides/tutorials of Comsol aren't very comprehensible and the applications they demonstrate are very limited.

I looked up comments about using axisymmetrical 2D models but those just don't work when you need several axis for the coil. The round single axis coils are getting fewer and fewer especially at more modern applications.

I really hoped to get help from the community but this is rather sad. Even after 6 months of studying the use I'm glad I have used this on student licence - defiantly not worth the money considering the guides and support you get for learning. I guess I just have to find some other program.
Maybe I was wishing too much... The guides/tutorials of Comsol aren't very comprehensible and the applications they demonstrate are very limited. I looked up comments about using axisymmetrical 2D models but those just don't work when you need several axis for the coil. The round single axis coils are getting fewer and fewer especially at more modern applications. I really hoped to get help from the community but this is rather sad. Even after 6 months of studying the use I'm glad I have used this on student licence - defiantly not worth the money considering the guides and support you get for learning. I guess I just have to find some other program.

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年5月11日 GMT-4 04:07
Hi Pauli,
Don't give up so quickly!! As you surely know, COMSOL applies continuity to interior boundaries by default (if you finish your geometry with a Union, as you did; otherwise, you can set that condition manually).
Apart from that, the infinite elements are very useful to model the far fields, did you use them?
If you share your model, perhaps the rest of us can help you a bit.
Regards,
Jesus.
Hi Pauli, Don't give up so quickly!! As you surely know, COMSOL applies continuity to interior boundaries by default (if you finish your geometry with a Union, as you did; otherwise, you can set that condition manually). Apart from that, the infinite elements are very useful to model the far fields, did you use them? If you share your model, perhaps the rest of us can help you a bit. Regards, Jesus.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.