Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Arrow color

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, all

I plotted principal stress volume.

So, I have three color arrows; red blue green

I know that they represent the eigenvectors of stress tensor.

What I want to know is their eigenvectors' color

The 1st eigenvector's color is _______.
The 2nd eigenvector's color is _______.
The 3rd eigenvector's color is _______.

I'd like to know this information.

I've failed to find them.

Thank you

5 Replies Last Post 2013年5月22日 GMT-4 20:52
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月22日 GMT-5 01:47
Hi

a good remark, unfortunately, I do not know more than you, I assume an xx yy zz reference, but that needs to be checked with a simple example. It's worth a suggestion to comsol to update their doc and help files ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi a good remark, unfortunately, I do not know more than you, I assume an xx yy zz reference, but that needs to be checked with a simple example. It's worth a suggestion to comsol to update their doc and help files ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月22日 GMT-5 03:33
Hi,

The values of the principal stresses are the eigenvalues of the stress tensor. In COMSOL Multiphysics the principal stresses sp1, sp2, and sp3 are ordered and plotted so that sp1 (red) > sp2 (green) > sp3 (blue). In the Settings window for a Principal Stress Volume node, for example, you can see the variables for the values of the principal stresses (typically solid.sp1, solid.sp2, and solid.sp3) and for their directions. By replacing one or two of the principal values with 0 you can plot one or two of the principal stresses instead of all three.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, The values of the principal stresses are the eigenvalues of the stress tensor. In COMSOL Multiphysics the principal stresses sp1, sp2, and sp3 are ordered and plotted so that sp1 (red) > sp2 (green) > sp3 (blue). In the Settings window for a Principal Stress Volume node, for example, you can see the variables for the values of the principal stresses (typically solid.sp1, solid.sp2, and solid.sp3) and for their directions. By replacing one or two of the principal values with 0 you can plot one or two of the principal stresses instead of all three. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月22日 GMT-5 04:56
Hi Magnus

Thank's I hope it is (or will be well) documented at least in an example somewhere ;)

--
Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Magnus Thank's I hope it is (or will be well) documented at least in an example somewhere ;) -- Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年2月22日 GMT-5 23:59
Thank you So much~~ : )
Thank you So much~~ : )

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月22日 GMT-4 20:52

Hi,

The values of the principal stresses are the eigenvalues of the stress tensor. In COMSOL Multiphysics the principal stresses sp1, sp2, and sp3 are ordered and plotted so that sp1 (red) > sp2 (green) > sp3 (blue). In the Settings window for a Principal Stress Volume node, for example, you can see the variables for the values of the principal stresses (typically solid.sp1, solid.sp2, and solid.sp3) and for their directions. By replacing one or two of the principal values with 0 you can plot one or two of the principal stresses instead of all three.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Hi,

Is the solid.sp1 a compressional or extensional value?

Thanks
[QUOTE] Hi, The values of the principal stresses are the eigenvalues of the stress tensor. In COMSOL Multiphysics the principal stresses sp1, sp2, and sp3 are ordered and plotted so that sp1 (red) > sp2 (green) > sp3 (blue). In the Settings window for a Principal Stress Volume node, for example, you can see the variables for the values of the principal stresses (typically solid.sp1, solid.sp2, and solid.sp3) and for their directions. By replacing one or two of the principal values with 0 you can plot one or two of the principal stresses instead of all three. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL [/QUOTE] Hi, Is the solid.sp1 a compressional or extensional value? Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.