Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of oxygen uptake in hemoglobin

Rupesh Kumar Mahendran

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model the diffusion of oxygen uptake in blood haemoglobin in a hollow cylinder fibre. The model makes use of Ficks law, henry's law, Hill's equation and partial pressure of oxygen. Can someone help me with any sources for these or any models to help me with part of it?

1 Reply Last Post 2017年6月16日 GMT-4 18:33

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年6月16日 GMT-4 18:33
Updated: 7 years ago 2017年6月16日 GMT-4 18:34
I am preparing to model oxygen uptake as well in my next project. I anticipate using the Chemical Reaction Engineering module for the Hill equation. However I haven't started yet, but anticipate starting by early fall.

It may not be straightforward, since oxygen uptake involves Fick diffusion through plasma, across the red cell membrane, and into the cytoplasm. At that point is the binding of oxygen to hemoglobin. There are more accurate equations than the Hill equation, but the Hill is simple and invertible, should suffice. Mass transport will most likely have to be modeled as two connected physics. This may simplify the oxygen transport, but may complicate fluid dynamics.

The concepts you are asking about are available in textbooks of physiology, and publications in physiology journals circa 1960-1970.

Keep me posted on your progress.

--
Steven Conrad, MD PhD
LSU Health
I am preparing to model oxygen uptake as well in my next project. I anticipate using the Chemical Reaction Engineering module for the Hill equation. However I haven't started yet, but anticipate starting by early fall. It may not be straightforward, since oxygen uptake involves Fick diffusion through plasma, across the red cell membrane, and into the cytoplasm. At that point is the binding of oxygen to hemoglobin. There are more accurate equations than the Hill equation, but the Hill is simple and invertible, should suffice. Mass transport will most likely have to be modeled as two connected physics. This may simplify the oxygen transport, but may complicate fluid dynamics. The concepts you are asking about are available in textbooks of physiology, and publications in physiology journals circa 1960-1970. Keep me posted on your progress. -- Steven Conrad, MD PhD LSU Health

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.