Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meshing Thin Dialectric in Air

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

New Comsol user here. I want to model the electric field in and around a thin dialectric (0.3um) sandwhiched between two conductive plates (3x60um) of thickness ~30um each in an air box. To get good resolution in the dialectric I swept it, dividing it into 5 layers. The air box cannot be swept and it gives an error when I apply a tetrahedral mesh because of the rectangular mesh on the sides of the dialectric (in contact with the air) created by the sweep. Meshing the entire model using the "Extremely Fine" mesh produces a mesh two tetrahedrals tall in the oxide which is not fine enough.

Is there a way I can sweep the dialectric while applying a tetrahedral mesh to the air, get finer resolution in the dialectric with a tetrahedral mesh or is there something I haven't considdered.

Thanks

-------------------
Khurram Tai

2 Replies Last Post 2017年11月17日 GMT-5 09:36
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年11月17日 GMT-5 08:57
Updated: 7 years ago 2017年11月17日 GMT-5 08:59

Dylan,

Instead of modeling thin dielectric layer as a solid domain, you can replace solid domain with a surface and use appropriate boundary condition. Several options avalable:

Electrostatics (es) physics interface: -Dielectric Shielding BC - Thin Low Permittivity Gap BC

Electric Currents (ec) physics interface: - Contact Inpedance BC - Electrical Contact BC - Electrical Shielding BC

Regards, Sergei

Dylan, Instead of modeling thin dielectric layer as a solid domain, you can replace solid domain with a surface and use appropriate boundary condition. Several options avalable: Electrostatics (es) physics interface: -Dielectric Shielding BC - Thin Low Permittivity Gap BC Electric Currents (ec) physics interface: - Contact Inpedance BC - Electrical Contact BC - Electrical Shielding BC Regards, Sergei

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年11月17日 GMT-5 09:36

Hello Dylan,

You can have a tet mesh to a swept mesh by using a conversion at the interface. See this blog post:

https://www.comsol.com/blogs/improving-your-meshing-with-swept-meshes/

See also the chapter on meshing in the Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics. It contains very good tutorials at the end. Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Dylan, You can have a tet mesh to a swept mesh by using a conversion at the interface. See this blog post: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/improving-your-meshing-with-swept-meshes/ See also the chapter on meshing in the Reference Manual for COMSOL Multiphysics. It contains very good tutorials at the end. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.