Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding Displcement at any angle other than the principal axes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have done static simulation and I can find displacement in x,y and z direction using u,v,w option. But how do I find displacement in the direction at an angle to any of the above x,y,z axes.

E.g. displacement in the direction of an axis,say x1, and that axis x1 is at 30 degrees to original x axis.

2 Replies Last Post 2018年1月18日 GMT-5 11:45
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年1月18日 GMT-5 10:52

Hi,

You can for example write u*cos(pi/6)+v*sin(pi/6).

For less trivial angles, set a result parameter (Results->Parameters) phi to the intended angle like 17[deg] and write u*cos(phi)+v*sin(phi).

Regards,

Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, You can for example write *u\*cos(pi/6)+v\*sin(pi/6)*. For less trivial angles, set a result parameter (Results->Parameters) *phi* to the intended angle like *17[deg]* and write *u\*cos(phi)+v\*sin(phi)*. Regards, Henrik

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年1月18日 GMT-5 11:45

As Sherlock Holmes said, "the answer lies in trigonometry."

As Sherlock Holmes said, "the answer lies in trigonometry."

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.