Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling Moving Heating Line

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I apologize in advance as this is likely a very simple issue but I have yet to find a forum/discussion that has helped me grasp the concept...

While I am waiting to gain access to the AC/DC module (in COMSOL 5.3), I am attempting to simulate induction heating of a steel plate (with a small skin depth) as heat being applied at the surface coupled with conductive heat transfer. Additionally, as a hairpin induction coil is being used, I am using a hairpin-shaped line heating source (please refer to the attached figure).

However, I would like to have this hairpin move at a prescribed speed in the +x direction such that I can "spread" the heating across the entire plate. Is there any easy way to do this? I have had some success with one of the COMSOL tutorials in simulating welding with a moving circular heat source using an if statement but I haven't been able to translate it to this type of geometry.

Thank you!

Matt

3 Replies Last Post 2018年3月12日 GMT-4 11:07

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年2月19日 GMT-5 08:31

Hi Matt,

I would try do add a 'Translational Motion ' in the 'Heat Transfer in Solids'/'Solid' node, for the plate. A velocity field can be specified.

best regards

Hi Matt, I would try do add a 'Translational Motion ' in the 'Heat Transfer in Solids'/'Solid' node, for the plate. A velocity field can be specified. best regards

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年2月19日 GMT-5 10:18
Updated: 6 years ago 2018年2月19日 GMT-5 10:18

Hi Matt,

In this blog post, a moving heat source is described:

https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-make-boundary-conditions-conditional-in-your-simulation/

Regards,

Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Matt, In this blog post, a moving heat source is described: Regards, Henrik

Posted: 6 years ago 2018年3月12日 GMT-4 11:07

Thank you both!

Thank you both!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.