Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Extruding to 3d

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
2 questions:

1) I am creating a ring in 2d, and it seems perfectly circular, but when I extrude it to 3d, it suddenly gets slightly jagged sides and becomes a sort of polygon. I tried to fillet it in 2d and then extrude, but it makes no difference, the 3d still has edges. Anyone know how to fix this?

2) Is there any way to put a 2d face on a 3d object? For example, on a cylinder, I would like to put a small circle on its top face to model a laser's heat deposition. I think this would let me impose heat transfer conditions on the boundary. Other suggestions are also welcome.
Thanks

5 Replies Last Post 2012年5月16日 GMT-4 13:15
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dhruv Kedar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月16日 GMT-4 11:20
Hi,

I have the same problem that your first question. Did you find a way to get out of it?

Hi, I have the same problem that your first question. Did you find a way to get out of it?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月16日 GMT-4 12:29
I can't remember since it was a while ago, but I think I ended up cutting out the only part of the 3d extrusion that I only needed the physics for.. This made it circular.
I can't remember since it was a while ago, but I think I ended up cutting out the only part of the 3d extrusion that I only needed the physics for.. This made it circular.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月16日 GMT-4 12:44
Hi

check you graqphics rendering, you can get a polygone by the way your cylinder is represented in the GUI graphics view even if it is "perfect" in shape. I'm no longer sure where that option is on 3.5, there should be an old thread about that too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check you graqphics rendering, you can get a polygone by the way your cylinder is represented in the GUI graphics view even if it is "perfect" in shape. I'm no longer sure where that option is on 3.5, there should be an old thread about that too -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月16日 GMT-4 13:13
Thank you for your help. But I dont think it is a question of graphic representation because COMSOL considers that there are 4 boundaries and not just one, as for a cylinder.
Thank you for your help. But I dont think it is a question of graphic representation because COMSOL considers that there are 4 boundaries and not just one, as for a cylinder.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月16日 GMT-4 13:15
Hi

then check your relative and absolute tolerances of the graphics, again forgotten where they are in 3.5, but I believe there were 2 variables to tweak, particularly if you have "small" items with "large" (m) scale

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi then check your relative and absolute tolerances of the graphics, again forgotten where they are in 3.5, but I believe there were 2 variables to tweak, particularly if you have "small" items with "large" (m) scale -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.