Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Waveguide S parameter calculation, boundary mode analysis problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

My task is to analyze the resonance property of a 3D optical waveguide cavity. As the first step, I am now following the "waveguide adapter" model to calculate the S parameters (reflection and transmission) of a straight waveguide (see my mph file attached).

My problem is that the eigenmode calculated by the "boundary mode analysis" looks strange, and the calculated effective mode index also largely deviates from the one obtained by 2D mode analysis. It is also interesting to see that the calculated S21 (transmission) is close to 0 dB, which is reasonable, at the frequency that I set for boundary mode analysis. But S21 will exceed 0 dB as the frequency becomes smaller. So, anything stupid in the model? Something wrong with the boundary condition setting?

Any comments will be very appreciated !!

Z

3 Replies Last Post 2011年8月2日 GMT-4 11:58

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月2日 GMT-4 06:19
I don't think the S21 parameter will exceed 0 dB (becoming positive) unless the medium is a gain medium. I feel you should checking out the mode index calculation again...
I don't think the S21 parameter will exceed 0 dB (becoming positive) unless the medium is a gain medium. I feel you should checking out the mode index calculation again...

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月2日 GMT-4 09:34
Hi,

I finally found the problem, the boundary mode analysis should be applied to all the sections of the input facet. I previously only apply the analysis in the waveguide core section.

Hi, I finally found the problem, the boundary mode analysis should be applied to all the sections of the input facet. I previously only apply the analysis in the waveguide core section.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月2日 GMT-4 11:58
Hi,

Great ! :)
Hi, Great ! :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.