Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Some new forum features

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, we added some new features to make it easier to find solutions:

If you start a thread, you can click "Accept Solution" on a message to indicate that it solved your original problem.
Other people will see this and find solutions easier.

On all messages, you can click "Vote" to indicate that you find a solution helpful. Click once more to "Un-vote".

Let us know what you think.
regards
Niklas

8 Replies Last Post 2012年6月7日 GMT-4 13:41
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月18日 GMT-4 15:57
Hei Niklas,

looks nice, I will have to get used to it, but that are some nice and interesting features

--
Having fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hei Niklas, looks nice, I will have to get used to it, but that are some nice and interesting features -- Having fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年8月19日 GMT-4 12:40
For those of you who have had their problems solved by a comment in the COMSOL Community feel free to go back to your solved question and select the comment that solved your question. This will help other users with similar questions to quickly find the correct answer.

--
COMSOL - Web Program Manager
www.linkedin.com/in/briankenyon
For those of you who have had their problems solved by a comment in the COMSOL Community feel free to go back to your solved question and select the comment that solved your question. This will help other users with similar questions to quickly find the correct answer. -- COMSOL - Web Program Manager http://www.linkedin.com/in/briankenyon

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月1日 GMT-4 16:28
Please let us know any new features that you would like to see on the COMSOL Community. We are all ears!

--
COMSOL - Web Program Manager
www.linkedin.com/in/briankenyon
Please let us know any new features that you would like to see on the COMSOL Community. We are all ears! -- COMSOL - Web Program Manager http://www.linkedin.com/in/briankenyon

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月2日 GMT-4 02:47
Hi Brian

Well if you want to have some programming headaches, why not improve (or tell me if I have missed them) the FORUM Search and Thread Sorting.

The FORUM is becoming rather "rich". Your keywords are a nice way to pre-sort, but not enough for me ;)

Today I cannot (or I do not know how to) search on an attachment file name, nor pre-sort all replies with an attachment and search with some keywords.
Just as I have no way to search with dates, or date periodes or for threads initiated by a given person, or with replies by a given person.

Some additional search keys such as date: daterange: att: from: by: subj: or something along those lines would be nice

Then one point for the main site:
www.comsol.eu/products/specifications/

COMSOLs tollbox/modules and feature mixing is becoming increasily complex for us. I have many modules, but today to find out which one to buy, given what I have and which specific physics I'm looking for, is a nightmare and some improvements there would help. I.e . some way for the user to select the modules he has already, and then get a column to the right including the "OR" of the ones selected (even nicer when I log in as a recognised user, I have already my licence list selected ;)

Thanks in advance, and for a good web site
--
Having fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Brian Well if you want to have some programming headaches, why not improve (or tell me if I have missed them) the FORUM Search and Thread Sorting. The FORUM is becoming rather "rich". Your keywords are a nice way to pre-sort, but not enough for me ;) Today I cannot (or I do not know how to) search on an attachment file name, nor pre-sort all replies with an attachment and search with some keywords. Just as I have no way to search with dates, or date periodes or for threads initiated by a given person, or with replies by a given person. Some additional search keys such as date: daterange: att: from: by: subj: or something along those lines would be nice Then one point for the main site: http://www.comsol.eu/products/specifications/ COMSOLs tollbox/modules and feature mixing is becoming increasily complex for us. I have many modules, but today to find out which one to buy, given what I have and which specific physics I'm looking for, is a nightmare and some improvements there would help. I.e . some way for the user to select the modules he has already, and then get a column to the right including the "OR" of the ones selected (even nicer when I log in as a recognised user, I have already my licence list selected ;) Thanks in advance, and for a good web site -- Having fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月2日 GMT-4 06:04
The feature I would like to see most as part of the Comsol Community is a public bug tracker, such as Bugzilla.

Oftentimes, when I encounter a bug in the software, I also come up with some kind of work-around to get my model up and running. I have even compiled a list, for my personal use, in case I come across the same bug ever again — and I do occasionally. I imagine other users have made similar experiences. Experiences that are worth sharing for the benefit of all.

I realize that I could use the Support contact form to report bugs. However, whenever I have found a work-around on my own, I don't really need “support” anymore and I would no longer make good use of my time if I did contact them.

A public bug tracker would create incentive to properly document and report bugs. By “public” I mean the public at large, though there may be reasons (company policy...) to restrict it to currently licensed user only. Obviously, such a bug tracker could easily include a voting system to identify the most pressing issues, and might also double as a means to submit small-scale feature requests, particularly with respect to usability improvements.
The feature I would like to see most as part of the Comsol Community is a public bug tracker, such as Bugzilla. Oftentimes, when I encounter a bug in the software, I also come up with some kind of work-around to get my model up and running. I have even compiled a list, for my personal use, in case I come across the same bug ever again — and I do occasionally. I imagine other users have made similar experiences. Experiences that are worth sharing for the benefit of all. I realize that I could use the Support contact form to report bugs. However, whenever I have found a work-around on my own, I don't really need “support” anymore and I would no longer make good use of my time if I did contact them. A public bug tracker would create incentive to properly document and report bugs. By “public” I mean the public at large, though there may be reasons (company policy...) to restrict it to currently licensed user only. Obviously, such a bug tracker could easily include a voting system to identify the most pressing issues, and might also double as a means to submit small-scale feature requests, particularly with respect to usability improvements.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月2日 GMT-4 06:20
Hi

then we should perhaps sort what is:

1) a bug = wrong calculations, error in equations, (for me)

2) and "nice to have list" of ways / suggestions on how to make the software easier and quicker to use

--
Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi then we should perhaps sort what is: 1) a bug = wrong calculations, error in equations, (for me) 2) and "nice to have list" of ways / suggestions on how to make the software easier and quicker to use -- Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2011年11月2日 GMT-4 06:48
Hi Ivar,

I meant all kinds of bugs – as in: unintended behavior of the software –, not just severe bugs like you described. The feature requests are, strictly speaking, a different kind of animal, but they are closely related, which is why I mentioned them. The reason they are closely related is because "unintended" leaves some room for interpretation.

However, none of this has ever stopped a software project with a larger community from setting up a bug tracker. Comsol doesn't have one, and I feel it should. Whether or not they choose to include feature requests would be a matter of moderation.
Hi Ivar, I meant all kinds of bugs – as in: unintended behavior of the software –, not just severe bugs like you described. The feature requests are, strictly speaking, a different kind of animal, but they are closely related, which is why I mentioned them. The reason they are closely related is because "unintended" leaves some room for interpretation. However, none of this has ever stopped a software project with a larger community from setting up a bug tracker. Comsol doesn't have one, and I feel it should. Whether or not they choose to include feature requests would be a matter of moderation.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年6月7日 GMT-4 13:41
As of June 7, 2012, the "votes" feature appears to be missing from this forum. Does anyone know why? Has this feature been removed permanently? Just curious. Thanks.

As of June 7, 2012, the "votes" feature appears to be missing from this forum. Does anyone know why? Has this feature been removed permanently? Just curious. Thanks.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.