Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electromagnetic wave solver outcome ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello.

When we get the electric field value from outcome of electromagnetic wave solver using permittivity, does electric field value means remaining electric field intensity after extinction or extincted electric field intensity by material permittivity?

Thank you

1 Reply Last Post 2020年5月15日 GMT-4 21:08
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 2020年5月15日 GMT-4 21:08
Updated: 4 years ago 2020年5月15日 GMT-4 21:10

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "extinction" or by the "remaining electric field intensity," but if you compute the electric field E in the presence of a dielectric, then the value of E that is plotted or displayed to you will be the electric field in the presence of that dielectric. You do not have to do any additional calculation to extract or correct the electric field that is computed.

I'm guessing that maybe by "extinction," maybe you are referring to something like the reduction in the electric field that would occur if a dielectric (epsr>1) is inserted into an isolated capacitor, while holding the capacitor-plate charges fixed (not holding the potential fixed). In such an example, the dielectric would cause the electric field in the capacitor to be reduced, because the bound charges in the dielectric shift. If that is what you meant, then as I said before, Comsol Multiphysics can and will compute the electric field properly within that bulk dielectric (assuming you set up the problem correctly, of course).

I hope that helps.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "extinction" or by the "remaining electric field intensity," but if you compute the electric field E in the presence of a dielectric, then the value of E that is plotted or displayed to you will be the electric field in the presence of that dielectric. You do not have to do any additional calculation to extract or correct the electric field that is computed. I'm guessing that maybe by "extinction," maybe you are referring to something like the reduction in the electric field that would occur if a dielectric (epsr>1) is inserted into an isolated capacitor, while holding the capacitor-plate charges fixed (not holding the potential fixed). In such an example, the dielectric would cause the electric field in the capacitor to be reduced, because the bound charges in the dielectric shift. If that is what you meant, then as I said before, Comsol Multiphysics can and will compute the electric field properly within that bulk dielectric (assuming you set up the problem correctly, of course). I hope that helps.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.