Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Free and porous media flow 3D simulation - convergence issues

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hey all,

I was using the free and porous media flow module (fp) to understand flow distribution patterns in my system. in the 2-D form it was working pretty neat. When I scaled it up to a 3D problem, its giving me all sorts of issues. Any comments/suggestions on the nature of solver that I can use for such a problem. I've tried different meshing options too. The solver isn't able to converge for any of those options.

Thanks,
Rohini

5 Replies Last Post 2013年8月21日 GMT-4 06:41
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rohini Bala Chandran

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月8日 GMT-4 11:42
Also my solver doesn't converge (Image attached) with this physics.

The error message is:
"Failed to find a solution.
Divergence of the linear iterations.
Returned solution is not converged."

My problem is to simulate the flow of air through a square channel and a porous solid (SiC).

I'm trying to use the physic "Free and Porous Media Flow" (Domain: All)

- Fluid Properties (Domain: All, pressure fp/fp1)
- Porous Matrix Properties (Domain: 1, Porous Material SiC, Porosity 0.5, Permeability e-10)
- Inlet (5m/s)
- Outlet (P=0)
- Initial value (P=0 u=0)

Are these settings and boundary conditions correct?
Also my solver doesn't converge (Image attached) with this physics. The error message is: "Failed to find a solution. Divergence of the linear iterations. Returned solution is not converged." My problem is to simulate the flow of air through a square channel and a porous solid (SiC). I'm trying to use the physic "Free and Porous Media Flow" (Domain: All) - Fluid Properties (Domain: All, pressure fp/fp1) - Porous Matrix Properties (Domain: 1, Porous Material SiC, Porosity 0.5, Permeability e-10) - Inlet (5m/s) - Outlet (P=0) - Initial value (P=0 u=0) Are these settings and boundary conditions correct?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月8日 GMT-4 12:51
Hi

for diffusion equations it's often the intial conditions (default all =0) that are too far from the solution for the solver to converge. try to initiate flow and diffusion equations in the initial conditions, or try running a steady state with low flow velocity and ramp up any flow with a parametric sweep or over the first seconds/hours of yout time/transient simualtion

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for diffusion equations it's often the intial conditions (default all =0) that are too far from the solution for the solver to converge. try to initiate flow and diffusion equations in the initial conditions, or try running a steady state with low flow velocity and ramp up any flow with a parametric sweep or over the first seconds/hours of yout time/transient simualtion -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月9日 GMT-4 05:40
Hi Ivar,

I initialize the flow with a velocity as 0.1 in the axial direction as you suggested to me and it works with a permeability of 1e-10 m2 (Permeability_1e-10.png.png)

In every way the velocity slices don't show flow in the porous media around the open channel. (velocity_Permeability_1e-10.png)

First of all I tried to change the permeability, but as I increase it the system doesn't converge (Permeability_1e-9.png).

My second solution was to insert a solid cubic obstacle in the free channel to force the fluid to go through the porous media. As the fluid approaches the obstacle the velocity goes to zero, but inexplicably v goes to zero in the porous wall to recover it's value after passing the cubic. (Cubic obstacle.png)

How is it physically possible?
What is wrong with my settings?

Thank you for your support.
Hi Ivar, I initialize the flow with a velocity as 0.1 in the axial direction as you suggested to me and it works with a permeability of 1e-10 m2 (Permeability_1e-10.png.png) In every way the velocity slices don't show flow in the porous media around the open channel. (velocity_Permeability_1e-10.png) First of all I tried to change the permeability, but as I increase it the system doesn't converge (Permeability_1e-9.png). My second solution was to insert a solid cubic obstacle in the free channel to force the fluid to go through the porous media. As the fluid approaches the obstacle the velocity goes to zero, but inexplicably v goes to zero in the porous wall to recover it's value after passing the cubic. (Cubic obstacle.png) How is it physically possible? What is wrong with my settings? Thank you for your support.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月19日 GMT-4 17:01
Hi,

Have you been able to figure this out? I am also having problems simulating flow through a porous media. I am using Free and Porous Media Flow, and cannot get the flow to go through a foam media. The flow simply goes around it.

Thank you in advanced for any help you can provide,
Alfredo
Hi, Have you been able to figure this out? I am also having problems simulating flow through a porous media. I am using Free and Porous Media Flow, and cannot get the flow to go through a foam media. The flow simply goes around it. Thank you in advanced for any help you can provide, Alfredo

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月21日 GMT-4 06:41
When I am using the "free and porous flow" model, I also sometimes have results where the velocity is zero within the porous media. However, when you look at the pressure, you see that there is a flow through the porous part because you can see a pressure drop over this area. I dont know how this is possible in the equation (since pressure is linked to velocity) but it happens.

I found, that the reason for this problem is, for the most part, a coarse mesh. By refining the mesh, the velocity increases to a certain value. Interestingly, the pressure drop stays alsmost constant, so the calculation of the pressure does not really depend on the velocity within the porous part.

So I suppose you should try to use a finer mesh for the calculation to see if the reults change.
When I am using the "free and porous flow" model, I also sometimes have results where the velocity is zero within the porous media. However, when you look at the pressure, you see that there is a flow through the porous part because you can see a pressure drop over this area. I dont know how this is possible in the equation (since pressure is linked to velocity) but it happens. I found, that the reason for this problem is, for the most part, a coarse mesh. By refining the mesh, the velocity increases to a certain value. Interestingly, the pressure drop stays alsmost constant, so the calculation of the pressure does not really depend on the velocity within the porous part. So I suppose you should try to use a finer mesh for the calculation to see if the reults change.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.