Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do I couple two different domains defined by different set of PDEs?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I need to couple two different domains defined by different physics:

1. In one of the phases the quantities u_s, v_s (which do not represent deformation) are governed by a set of differential equations similar to the Elasticity equation.

2. In the second phase, the variables u,v,p (similar to x velocity, y velocity and pressure) are governed by the Stokes Flow equation. (This includes a forcing term somewhere in the fluid domain which is easy to add).

3. On their common boundary, the stresses should be equal (stress from fluid.normal vector=stress from solid.normal vector) and u and v should be equal to 0 (because no slip and steady state).

I need to solve this problem for steady state. I am new to comsol and I know how to solve each of these problems individually, but I dont know how to couple these two. Do note that they are just derived from elasticity and stokes flow and so no actual deformation is taking place.

Another problem here is that the circular solid inclusions are completely immersed inside the fluid and therefore there is no way to add a dirichlet boundary conditions. I am only concerned with averages inside the fluid phase so the values in solid phase dont concern me directly.

0 Replies Last Post 2020年10月3日 GMT-4 07:52
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sahaj Jain

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.