Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Radiation absorbing materials (RAM) as coating

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I have never used comsol before and I would like to make a simulation of materials in the form of coatings that absorb electromagnetic radiation and see how those materials block the radiation as well as the absorption graph and calculate the S-parameters.

I hope someone can help me with some example or guidance for this.

Thank you very much.

1 Reply Last Post 2021年3月18日 GMT-4 13:33
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年3月18日 GMT-4 13:33
Updated: 3 years ago 2021年3月18日 GMT-4 13:34

You can model those materials just like any other bulk materials in an RF model. The hardest part is that you need to know accurately their characteristic properties (complex epsilon and mu; or equivalent combinations of epsilon, mu, sigma, tan delta,...) at the RF frequencies of interest to you. Accurate information about these kinds of materials may be difficult to find. But, assuming that you can find it, then you are in great shape. Just make sure you use a fine enough mesh within the material, so that your model properly captures the details in the gradients of the fields there.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
You can model those materials just like any other bulk materials in an RF model. The hardest part is that you need to know accurately their characteristic properties (complex epsilon and mu; or equivalent combinations of epsilon, mu, sigma, tan delta,...) at the RF frequencies of interest to you. Accurate information about these kinds of materials may be difficult to find. But, assuming that you can find it, then you are in great shape. Just make sure you use a fine enough mesh within the material, so that your model properly captures the details in the gradients of the fields there.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.