Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coordinate system change

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I came to situation where I should calculate some integrals rather in cylindrical coordinate system
than in normal orthogonal system. However my CAD model has been drawn in normal coordinate
system. Are there any option to change coordinate system afterwards ?

2 Replies Last Post 2014年3月19日 GMT-4 10:56

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年5月30日 GMT-4 07:26
Yep!

Model->Definitions (right click) -> Coordinate systems -> cylindrical coordinate system

Can be used for definitions of boundary conditions etc.

For results, I'd recommend you to create subsets of your solution dataset.

Results->Data Sets (right click) -> Parameterized surface (3D)

For a cylindrical plane, the following would do:
first parameter name: my_z
minimum 0
maximum 15
second parameter name: my_theta
minimum 0
maximum 2*pi
expressions
x: 10*cos(my_theta)
y: 10*sin(my_theta)
z: my_z

Now you have an additional dataset on which you can perform surface integrations or plot stuff with.

Good luck,
Magnus
Yep! Model->Definitions (right click) -> Coordinate systems -> cylindrical coordinate system Can be used for definitions of boundary conditions etc. For results, I'd recommend you to create subsets of your solution dataset. Results->Data Sets (right click) -> Parameterized surface (3D) For a cylindrical plane, the following would do: first parameter name: my_z minimum 0 maximum 15 second parameter name: my_theta minimum 0 maximum 2*pi expressions x: 10*cos(my_theta) y: 10*sin(my_theta) z: my_z Now you have an additional dataset on which you can perform surface integrations or plot stuff with. Good luck, Magnus

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年3月19日 GMT-4 10:56
Hi -- I have a similar question. I have a fairly complicated model in 1-D axisymmetric geometry. The geometry of my model is simple, but the physics is complicated (lots of chemical source terms). Is there a way to convert the model to 1-D cartesian (or some other system)? It would be pretty easy to redefine the geometry, but entering all the physics would be time-consuming.
Hi -- I have a similar question. I have a fairly complicated model in 1-D axisymmetric geometry. The geometry of my model is simple, but the physics is complicated (lots of chemical source terms). Is there a way to convert the model to 1-D cartesian (or some other system)? It would be pretty easy to redefine the geometry, but entering all the physics would be time-consuming.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.