Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do I model an electrically conducting fluid (lava) flowing through a tube?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am new to COMSOL and multiphysics modeling in general, and would appreciate any direction or help for this problem. I would like to model lava flowing though a tube to study how the earth's magnetic (uniform) field interact with the elctrically conducting fluid.

The electrical conductivity of basaltic lava can be up to 2 S/m, viscosity is as low as 40 Pa s, velocity up to 10 m/s, Earth's magnetic field is 30-60 microTeslas. I could like to consider a field perpendicular to the flow. Lava tubes can be up to 100km long and 30 meters wide.

How can I set up this model?

2 Replies Last Post 2021年7月26日 GMT-4 14:58
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年7月26日 GMT-4 14:39

The Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef) formulation in the AC/DC module includes the v cross B term you need to couple the fluid motion with the EM fields. Solve self-consistently with v from the CFD module.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
The Magnetic and Electric Fields (mef) formulation in the AC/DC module includes the *v* cross **B** term you need to couple the fluid motion with the EM fields. Solve self-consistently with *v* from the CFD module.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago 2021年7月26日 GMT-4 14:58

This blog contribution by Walter Frei may be useful: https://www.comsol.de/blogs/building-a-magnetohydrodynamic-multiphysics-model-in-comsol/

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
This blog contribution by Walter Frei may be useful: https://www.comsol.de/blogs/building-a-magnetohydrodynamic-multiphysics-model-in-comsol/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.