Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

About finer mesh creation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I had some questions about mesh creation. Except for defaults, what is the main principles for Minimum angle for splitting, Maximum per split, and layer decrement when creating boundary layers? And also the thickness adjustment factor? In addition, for some complex geometry, it is different to create correct and excellent meshes if importing Stl. file. Is it right or not? The supporters of Comsol company told me the Stl.file (or Wrl. file) only contain the surface information for the geometry. So sometimes it is easy to result in incorrect process. I do not buy the CAD Import module so far. Who has good idea about importing geometry?

Thank you for your discussion.

2 Replies Last Post 2012年9月8日 GMT-4 09:37
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年9月8日 GMT-4 07:50
Hi

indeed STL as other layer or 2D simpler formats are not real 3D core graphic formats, the resulting geometry can be topologically incoherent or just not possible to knit together. For that you need higher level code and these are mostly propretary hence you must pay for them, and that is what you do with the CAD module, and wen you go even further to link them in as the "LiveLink Modules"

There might be some free software that can control your simple format and try to correct it, or allow you to viauslise broken polylines, I haven,t really searched so I cannot propose any, I mostly use our CAM softare for cleaning up DXF files, when needed, STL files as pcb or chip layout file I often hace to abandon, and rebuild them in my 3D CAD tool

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed STL as other layer or 2D simpler formats are not real 3D core graphic formats, the resulting geometry can be topologically incoherent or just not possible to knit together. For that you need higher level code and these are mostly propretary hence you must pay for them, and that is what you do with the CAD module, and wen you go even further to link them in as the "LiveLink Modules" There might be some free software that can control your simple format and try to correct it, or allow you to viauslise broken polylines, I haven,t really searched so I cannot propose any, I mostly use our CAM softare for cleaning up DXF files, when needed, STL files as pcb or chip layout file I often hace to abandon, and rebuild them in my 3D CAD tool -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年9月8日 GMT-4 09:37
Ivar, thank you so much. So you also think for complex geometry the import module is very essential? But the price for this module is expensive which almost equals to that for an account. Actually, for me sometimes the Stl. files can work correctly, but sometimes it can not especially for more complex geometry. In addition, about the boundary mesh creation, can you give some advises? Thank you again.
Ivar, thank you so much. So you also think for complex geometry the import module is very essential? But the price for this module is expensive which almost equals to that for an account. Actually, for me sometimes the Stl. files can work correctly, but sometimes it can not especially for more complex geometry. In addition, about the boundary mesh creation, can you give some advises? Thank you again.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.