Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Which module is required for induction heating?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Friends,
I am doing simulation on induction heating process in which,
I need to apply all required finomina on induction coil and with the help of coil, I need to heat up the steel plate.
I have license of AC/DC module.
Please can any body tell me that whether the Heat Transfer modul is required to doing this pursuit?
Thank you in advance.

3 Replies Last Post 2012年9月25日 GMT-4 12:09
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年9月25日 GMT-4 00:05
If you don’t have surface-to-surface radiation, conduction in shells, or other “advanced” heat transfer features you will not need the heat transfer module.
If you don’t have surface-to-surface radiation, conduction in shells, or other “advanced” heat transfer features you will not need the heat transfer module.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年9月25日 GMT-4 03:04
Thanks for your answer,
Actually I want to know the heating area which is affected by induction coil with respect to time and simulate the process to get the heat in less time for given object.
Could you please tell me that, for this pursuit which physics I need to apply in AC/DC module or in Heat transfer module?
Wating for reply,
Thanks.
Thanks for your answer, Actually I want to know the heating area which is affected by induction coil with respect to time and simulate the process to get the heat in less time for given object. Could you please tell me that, for this pursuit which physics I need to apply in AC/DC module or in Heat transfer module? Wating for reply, Thanks.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2012年9月25日 GMT-4 12:09
Hi Chirag,

I can’t tell from just based on the description you provided. I suggest you contact Support. For example, if the temperatures are relatively high you will need to account for internal surface-to-surface radiation which is only in the Heat Transfer module. Also if you have natural convection, without the Heat Transfer module you can input the convection coefficients manually, and with the Heat Transfer module you get them pre-programmed.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Chirag, I can’t tell from just based on the description you provided. I suggest you contact Support. For example, if the temperatures are relatively high you will need to account for internal surface-to-surface radiation which is only in the Heat Transfer module. Also if you have natural convection, without the Heat Transfer module you can input the convection coefficients manually, and with the Heat Transfer module you get them pre-programmed. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.