Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Uniaxial compression of lattice structure, stress-strain curve

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am doing a uniaxial compression test on lattice strucutre. A prescribed displacement is done on the topmost surface and the bottom surface is kept fixed. The study is being done on structural mechanics with a stationary analysis and an auxilary sweep was performed by varying the prescribed dispalcement. The model was given a material property of linear elastic material with plasticity as sub option. I chose the yield function as von mises stress and isotropic hardening model was set at voce. The material i wanted to model was stainless steel 316L and all the material values were assigned following the engineering tool box. I am trying to generate a stress strain curve using this analysis. Eventhough i can visualise the deformation process of the lattice, once the lattice has been compressed to its maximum position, the stress strain curve is still being shown in the plastic region. Normally the curve should move upwards (i have attached a sample graphs of how the stress strain curve of compressed lattice looks like) once it is compressed at max. I generated the graph by looking at the reaction force (RFz) on the topmost surface and the corresponding displacement. Any idea why COMSOL is not generating the required plot? is it because of the material modes that i have defined or is it because i am analysing the stress-strain component in a wrong manner?

The lattice once deformed completely moves beyond the fixed constraint upon further deformation. could this be a another reason for this?

1 Reply Last Post 2023年3月13日 GMT-4 04:44
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 year ago 2023年3月13日 GMT-4 04:44

Is it not so that the highly progressive parts at the end of the force-displacement relationship are caused by geometrical effects like parts of the lattice are making contact with each other? Can that be what is missing?

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Is it not so that the highly progressive parts at the end of the force-displacement relationship are caused by geometrical effects like parts of the lattice are making contact with each other? Can that be what is missing?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.