Limiting variables in Monolithic solver

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello COMSOL Community,

In the typical segregated approach, it’s possible to limit a variable between an upper and lower bound. In the case of, the phase field variable needs to remain between 0 and 1. However, when using the monolithic or fully coupled solver, I haven’t found a way to enforce these limits.

My question is: How can I ensure that the phase field variable stays within the range of 0 to 1 when calculating energy, which depends on this variable, while using the monolithic solver?

I would appreciate any insights or suggestions on how to approach this issue.

Thank you!

2 Replies Last Post 2024年8月30日 GMT-4 10:38
Adam Wahlsten COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 days ago 2024年8月28日 GMT-4 04:48

Hi Aida,

If possible, it is usually better to enforce the limit on the phase field from the governing equations instead of setting a limit in the solver, since the latter will disregard the equations where your bound is violated. This means that you can get an arbitrarily large residual.

In version 6.2, with the Phase Field in Solids interface, you can use the Bounds subnode to a Phase Field Model node to specify these kind of inequality constraints.

If you are working with a phase field damage model like AT1, which is unbounded, an alternative approach to adding inequality constraints is to analytically derive the minimum energy that is necessary for a zero solution and add this as an additional source term in the phase field equation.

Best regards,
Adam Wahlsten
COMSOL

Hi Aida, If possible, it is usually better to enforce the limit on the phase field from the governing equations instead of setting a limit in the solver, since the latter will disregard the equations where your bound is violated. This means that you can get an arbitrarily large residual. In version 6.2, with the Phase Field in Solids interface, you can use the Bounds subnode to a Phase Field Model node to specify these kind of inequality constraints. If you are working with a phase field damage model like AT1, which is unbounded, an alternative approach to adding inequality constraints is to analytically derive the minimum energy that is necessary for a zero solution and add this as an additional source term in the phase field equation. Best regards, Adam Wahlsten COMSOL

Posted: 2 days ago 2024年8月30日 GMT-4 10:38

Thank you for your response, Mr Adam
However, I've noticed that the "Weak Contribution" sub-node doesn't exist under the " Phase Field in Solids" node. How can I resolve this issue?

Thank you for your response, Mr Adam However, I've noticed that the "Weak Contribution" sub-node doesn't exist under the " Phase Field in Solids" node. How can I resolve this issue?

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.