Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

weak form of transient heat conduction in solids

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I'm trying to come up with a transient weak formulation of heat conduction through solids. The equation of interest is:

rho.C.dT/dt + del(q)=Q

I have already successfully implemented the steady state part (subdomain) of the heat equation in Comsol's Physics Interface Builder as k.del(T).test(del(T)) which was verified by Comsol's "ht"-module. However, I have trouble in defining the weak equation for the transient part (rho.C.dT/dt).

rho.C.Tt gives me an error, saying Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian. - Variable: Tt
rho.C.d(T,t) does not give me any comparable solution to Comsol's "ht"-module

Does anyone know what the weak form of the above equation is?

Many thanks in advance

1 Reply Last Post 2013年2月11日 GMT-5 13:09

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年2月11日 GMT-5 13:09
Hi,,
I think it is just T.test times the term you mention. Time is specially dealth with in comsol weak form.
Otherwise you can formulate a model in general pde form (math) and display it in weak form later.

Best regards,
Per
Hi,, I think it is just T.test times the term you mention. Time is specially dealth with in comsol weak form. Otherwise you can formulate a model in general pde form (math) and display it in weak form later. Best regards, Per

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.