Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol RF module norm and phase

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I have a problem with Comsol, a very naive one.

I am trying to do a harmonic simulation (a single frequency in frequency domain model) of the EM scattering in a domain.

For example if I have a electric dipole oscillating in a square medium. I will be able to get the norm of the electric field at any spatial point in the simulated domain by selecting the norm option in Comsol. However I am also interested in finding out the relative phase relationship between the electric field at different spatial points. If there a easy way to do it say by selecting any function in the Comsol simulation ?

All the best

6 Replies Last Post 2013年3月4日 GMT-5 14:06

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月3日 GMT-5 18:19
Hi,

look at the spatial components of the electric field. They are complex. You may have to use the real() and imag() operators.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, look at the spatial components of the electric field. They are complex. You may have to use the real() and imag() operators. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月3日 GMT-5 18:22
Thank you Edgar,

I did not find the phase (complex) option in the Comsol interface so
I assume now if I export these field numbers into matlab they will be complex
Is that correct ?

Thank you so much for your reply
Thank you Edgar, I did not find the phase (complex) option in the Comsol interface so I assume now if I export these field numbers into matlab they will be complex Is that correct ? Thank you so much for your reply

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月4日 GMT-5 01:09
Hi

you should check the help "mathematical functions" and "special operators", there you can fine the imag() real() arg atan2(,) ... and many more

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you should check the help "mathematical functions" and "special operators", there you can fine the imag() real() arg atan2(,) ... and many more -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月4日 GMT-5 06:07
Ivar is right, try atan(imag()/real()) and you get the phase
Ivar is right, try atan(imag()/real()) and you get the phase

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月4日 GMT-5 06:10
Thank you for your reply, I will check it out

Best wishes
Thank you for your reply, I will check it out Best wishes

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月4日 GMT-5 14:06
Hi

to get the full 2*pi rad turn use rather

arg( your_compl_var )

or

atan2( imag(your_compl_var) , real(your_compl_var) )

and NOT atan(.../...) that is limtied to 0-pi rad

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi to get the full 2*pi rad turn use rather arg( your_compl_var ) or atan2( imag(your_compl_var) , real(your_compl_var) ) and NOT atan(.../...) that is limtied to 0-pi rad -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.