Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

particle deformation througn a contrained channel

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I am doing COMSOL simulation to see the behavior of a particle flow through a microchannel. There is a area of the channel where particle size is greater than the cross section. So the particle will deform when it passes through this area. My question is to find the time that the particle takes to get through this blocking part. because i just start using COMSOL in this week. are there anybody know which physics model should i use? I am going to use two phase flow to simulate this process. But i just have a general idea. is this feasible?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies Last Post 2017年2月24日 GMT-5 22:29
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月3日 GMT-5 23:26
Hi JF,

Depending on the constitutive behavior of the particle it may be more suitable to model it as a solid or a fluid. If you model it as a solid then the problem becomes an FSI problem with a moving mesh and contact with the microchannel walls. If you model the particle as a fluid then a two-phase fluid model is suitable, preferably using the phase-field method. For some problems such as a neutrophil passing through a capillary (microcirculation), I have seen both the solid and fluid approaches applied.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi JF, Depending on the constitutive behavior of the particle it may be more suitable to model it as a solid or a fluid. If you model it as a solid then the problem becomes an FSI problem with a moving mesh and contact with the microchannel walls. If you model the particle as a fluid then a two-phase fluid model is suitable, preferably using the phase-field method. For some problems such as a neutrophil passing through a capillary (microcirculation), I have seen both the solid and fluid approaches applied. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月5日 GMT-5 16:19
Hi Nagi,

Yes, i am actually doing a red blood cell passing through micro channel. Could you give me more detail? is there any such model available on the internet? In my model, i use a 2D model and two phase flow to do the simulation. I find that this is problematic.Since one phase will be separated by the ball phase. Should i use a 3D model to solve this?

Thanks very much

JF
Hi Nagi, Yes, i am actually doing a red blood cell passing through micro channel. Could you give me more detail? is there any such model available on the internet? In my model, i use a 2D model and two phase flow to do the simulation. I find that this is problematic.Since one phase will be separated by the ball phase. Should i use a 3D model to solve this? Thanks very much JF

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月6日 GMT-5 08:48
Hi JF,

You are using the Moving Mesh two-phase method. It is easier to use either the Phase Field or Level Set methods instead. They are better suited for problems such as this one involving changing topology of the fluid boundary (as the cell gets squeezed through the channel).

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi JF, You are using the Moving Mesh two-phase method. It is easier to use either the Phase Field or Level Set methods instead. They are better suited for problems such as this one involving changing topology of the fluid boundary (as the cell gets squeezed through the channel). Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月19日 GMT-4 10:52
is there anybody doing the neutrophil circulatin using the comsol?
is there anybody doing the neutrophil circulatin using the comsol?

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月24日 GMT-5 22:29
Hi JF,

Do you solve this problem? I am doing the similar simulation now. Could you please give some example? Thank you!
Hi JF, Do you solve this problem? I am doing the similar simulation now. Could you please give some example? Thank you!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.