Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Adapative Mesh Refinement with Mapped Distribution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm using Comsol version 4.3 and, for some reason, when I try to use adaptive mesh refinement in the Stationary Solver's extensions, it claims I can only use triangular mesh elements for it. I need the refinement because I'm working on a project that deals with large deformations. On my other computer which uses 4.2, I can use adaptive mesh refinement with any kind of mesh. Any idea why this is happening or will I only be able to use triangular meshes for mesh refinement.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

2 Replies Last Post 2013年5月20日 GMT-4 11:44
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月13日 GMT-4 13:49
Hi

not sure why, but I find hat thet mesh is as good, in case you want it smoother, increase the discretization factor

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi not sure why, but I find hat thet mesh is as good, in case you want it smoother, increase the discretization factor -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月20日 GMT-4 11:44
Dear Robert,

I had the same problem with comsol 4.1 : the refinement was only available with triangular Mesh.

I just tried the same thing in 4.2 and it is not possible. I dont understand how you could say that it worked with v4.2; refinement of rectangular mesh doesnt work with 4.2.

I dont have the version 4.3 but it seems that the company dont want to add Adaptive Refinement for Rectangular Meshes.

This kind of adaptative meshed would require the implementation of special elements (so that a large rectangular element could be in front a several smaller rectangular element on one of its edges). I dont think that comsol is able to handle that yet. Actually, it seems that the team is more busy at making tons of modules instead of improving/including important functionnalities such as rectangular mesh refinement.

The other possibility would be to select manually the element and force a split of a rectangular element (in Matlab for example) but im not sure it is possible to access an element in matlab-comsol.

----------------
Université Laval
Dear Robert, I had the same problem with comsol 4.1 : the refinement was only available with triangular Mesh. I just tried the same thing in 4.2 and it is not possible. I dont understand how you could say that it worked with v4.2; refinement of rectangular mesh doesnt work with 4.2. I dont have the version 4.3 but it seems that the company dont want to add Adaptive Refinement for Rectangular Meshes. This kind of adaptative meshed would require the implementation of special elements (so that a large rectangular element could be in front a several smaller rectangular element on one of its edges). I dont think that comsol is able to handle that yet. Actually, it seems that the team is more busy at making tons of modules instead of improving/including important functionnalities such as rectangular mesh refinement. The other possibility would be to select manually the element and force a split of a rectangular element (in Matlab for example) but im not sure it is possible to access an element in matlab-comsol. ---------------- Université Laval

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.