Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulation of third order nonlinearities such as four wave mixing in silicon waveguides

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello;

I myself think that simulation of nonlinearities is possible by COMSOL. However, I have not tried it until now.
The question in my mind is possibility of launching several fields (several wavelength) to a waveguide and simulating this case for propagation and interaction of them. What's your view? How can I do this?

Thanks for your help.
Sincerely,
Uldouz

1 Reply Last Post 2013年3月24日 GMT-4 14:32
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月24日 GMT-4 14:32
Hi

what do you mean by "nonlinearities" ? as lanching several wavelengths in a guide will give you first of all a superposition of the individual modes going through, you need some specific coupling with the E field or something else that might change in the domain to get "non linear" effects, i.e. saturation, gain threshold ... but this is new physics so you need first to express he physics, thenadapt the formulas (at least how I understand "optical non-linearities)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi what do you mean by "nonlinearities" ? as lanching several wavelengths in a guide will give you first of all a superposition of the individual modes going through, you need some specific coupling with the E field or something else that might change in the domain to get "non linear" effects, i.e. saturation, gain threshold ... but this is new physics so you need first to express he physics, thenadapt the formulas (at least how I understand "optical non-linearities) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.