Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat Transfer Coefficient between Two Solid Layer with Different Temperature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate the residual thermal stress induced by the temperature gradient between a coating and the substrate after cooling to room temperature.

The metal coating is deposited at high temperature (~1500 deg C) while the substrate is pre-heated (~600 deg C).

I modelled the geometry with a contact pair and set as an assembly. Now, apart from the convection at the surfaces exposed to the ambient temperature, there is a heat flux through the interface between the coating and the substrate.

I am trying to specify/include the heat transfer coefficient between the interface.
Could you please share your ideas on how to specify the heat flux through the interface from the Thermal Stress module and specifically heat flux from the coating to the substrate.

C

1 Reply Last Post 2013年3月26日 GMT-4 16:14
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年3月26日 GMT-4 16:14
Hi

I would first ask: why assembly and contact ? and why not standard union and continuity ?
have you checked the model library example for a 2 layer thermal heat stress buildup ?

HT as a thin layer in contact is tricky, as normally "contact is for parts with partial surface contact, hence heat flow over varying surfaces dependng on the contact area. In you case I cannot really imagine that like that. but a 2 layer model, with possibly some thin heat surface layer for the adesion limit layer if there is one.

I would also say that 90% of the heat flux is controlled trough the material properties (or deviates from reality due to the unknown of material properties), the rest from the geometry which is mostly rather well known

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would first ask: why assembly and contact ? and why not standard union and continuity ? have you checked the model library example for a 2 layer thermal heat stress buildup ? HT as a thin layer in contact is tricky, as normally "contact is for parts with partial surface contact, hence heat flow over varying surfaces dependng on the contact area. In you case I cannot really imagine that like that. but a 2 layer model, with possibly some thin heat surface layer for the adesion limit layer if there is one. I would also say that 90% of the heat flux is controlled trough the material properties (or deviates from reality due to the unknown of material properties), the rest from the geometry which is mostly rather well known -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.