Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flow between parallel plates

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey,
I am trying to model flow between 2 parallel plates both of which are moving towards each other. The equations applicable are Continuity and Navier Stokes. However, I am quite not able to find the right interface to model it. Could someone please help me with it....Also, please send any tutorials that could help me solve the problem.

4 Replies Last Post 2013年4月16日 GMT-4 13:56
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月14日 GMT-4 05:46
Hi

check your doc and the "wall" options, there should be a "moving wall option in there ..

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check your doc and the "wall" options, there should be a "moving wall option in there .. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月14日 GMT-4 07:11
hey,
Actually I needed the thickness of the film between the plates too as an output...so I was using the "Thin film Flow interface" to model the flow. So, I have 2 doubts...
Firstly,
Does one require a moving mesh interface to be coupled with Thin film for setting up the study??
Secondly,
How does one specify the velocity of the plates moving towards each other in the displacement field of the Thin film flow interface? I tried displacement =velocity * time but it didn;t quite work out for me....Could you suggest something in this regard?
hey, Actually I needed the thickness of the film between the plates too as an output...so I was using the "Thin film Flow interface" to model the flow. So, I have 2 doubts... Firstly, Does one require a moving mesh interface to be coupled with Thin film for setting up the study?? Secondly, How does one specify the velocity of the plates moving towards each other in the displacement field of the Thin film flow interface? I tried displacement =velocity * time but it didn;t quite work out for me....Could you suggest something in this regard? Thanks :)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月16日 GMT-4 08:02
hey,
I tried building the model with the moving walls option. However, the pressure and velocity profiles are not changing with time in a time dependent study. Could you suggest if something is wrong with the model?

Thanks
Sarneet
hey, I tried building the model with the moving walls option. However, the pressure and velocity profiles are not changing with time in a time dependent study. Could you suggest if something is wrong with the model? Thanks Sarneet

Mikael Noerregaard Nielsen

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月16日 GMT-4 13:56
Hey Sarneet

First of all, I am no expert on the subject but its very hard giving you advice without your model:-) The reason why I mention this is because it could be something in your boundary conditions or perhaps even inlet or outlet conditions.

Best of luck

Regards Mikael
Hey Sarneet First of all, I am no expert on the subject but its very hard giving you advice without your model:-) The reason why I mention this is because it could be something in your boundary conditions or perhaps even inlet or outlet conditions. Best of luck Regards Mikael

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.