Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Variable length of the boundary load

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I have a simple 2D model, that is a cantilever beam. I would apply on this beam a boundary load, but the LENGTH of the boundary load should change over time (increasing or decreasing).
Just to be more clear, I have the length of the cantilever beam equal to 100 mm. At time t=0, the length upon which the boundary load should be =0 mm, and then it should increase with time increasing, for instance at t=40 the length it's 40 mm etc. Of course, the load per unit length remains constant.

I hope I've been clear
Thank you for any suggestions

Fabio

4 Replies Last Post 2013年4月26日 GMT-4 07:37
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月26日 GMT-4 02:15
Hi

you can define a Gaussian pulse (or a rect) in Model Definition Functions, and have that modulating it's central position with time, then check the normalisation and adapt it to give you a pressure or load on your boundary, with the desired time "t" dependence

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can define a Gaussian pulse (or a rect) in Model Definition Functions, and have that modulating it's central position with time, then check the normalisation and adapt it to give you a pressure or load on your boundary, with the desired time "t" dependence -- Good luck Ivar

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月26日 GMT-4 03:57
Hi,

I think Fabio is looking for something simpler than that. Just writing an expression in the text field for the load like

load_intensity*(x<t*0.001)

With more careful unit handling, the same expression could be written as

load_intensity*(x<t*1[mm]/1[s])

If the problem is not truly dynamic, then the parametric solver should be used, and the parameter itself could be the load extension (including units). This would give

load_intensity*(x<my_parameter)

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, I think Fabio is looking for something simpler than that. Just writing an expression in the text field for the load like load_intensity*(x

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月26日 GMT-4 04:00
Hi Henrik

True it depends if you read "Length" as "extent" or "position along the boundary",
and I tend to use as far as possible continuous functions, but indeed that can also be an overkill

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Henrik True it depends if you read "Length" as "extent" or "position along the boundary", and I tend to use as far as possible continuous functions, but indeed that can also be an overkill -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年4月26日 GMT-4 07:37
Hi Henrik,

yes exactly what I needed! Thank you very much! I am simulating this simple example to try, step-by-step, dealing with modelling of a welding in Comsol (I am interested in residual stresses after the process). The boundary load that increases (the extension) over time represents the thermal stress due to the cooling of the joint. As I have also to introduce a thermal effect that "moves" along the joint (the torch), also the solution proposed by Ivar it's useful.

I don't know if I am approaching correctly or not with welding, and I have not found any Comsol tutorials on residual stress due to welding, so I should start from scratch...

Thank you if you have any other suggestion!

Fabio
Hi Henrik, yes exactly what I needed! Thank you very much! I am simulating this simple example to try, step-by-step, dealing with modelling of a welding in Comsol (I am interested in residual stresses after the process). The boundary load that increases (the extension) over time represents the thermal stress due to the cooling of the joint. As I have also to introduce a thermal effect that "moves" along the joint (the torch), also the solution proposed by Ivar it's useful. I don't know if I am approaching correctly or not with welding, and I have not found any Comsol tutorials on residual stress due to welding, so I should start from scratch... Thank you if you have any other suggestion! Fabio

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.