Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

find the coordinates of a point in which the magnitude of derived variable at a specific time is minimum?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am working on a 2D transient problem. I have the results and want to post processing them.
I want to plot my results like this:

Detect the minimum of a derived variable all over the domain at a specific time.
then, again detect that variable in another time (and repeat it for my time period)

I could do that. Now I wanna to have the coordinates of that point in which the derived variable is minimum at that specific time.
Any idea?

Thanks
Hooman

4 Replies Last Post 2013年6月6日 GMT-4 15:03

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月10日 GMT-4 02:02
Hello,

if you are working with Matlab ti's really easy: you have the solution at certain time t stored into a column vector, and you fond the minimum. You should know the position in the column vector in which the minimum is stored. Let's say a the n-th row.
Now extract the vector with X-Y coordinates of your nodes: at the position n you will find the coordinates of your minimum.

Good luck ;)
Mattia

Hello, if you are working with Matlab ti's really easy: you have the solution at certain time t stored into a column vector, and you fond the minimum. You should know the position in the column vector in which the minimum is stored. Let's say a the n-th row. Now extract the vector with X-Y coordinates of your nodes: at the position n you will find the coordinates of your minimum. Good luck ;) Mattia

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月10日 GMT-4 06:27
Mattia,

Thanks for the reply. What if I do not use Live link?

Can I do it within the software?

Thanks
Mattia, Thanks for the reply. What if I do not use Live link? Can I do it within the software? Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年5月10日 GMT-4 08:03
Hi,

honestly I don't have experience with it myself, but I guess it is possible. What I'd do is to write down an equation while defining the plot....
Sorry, I can't help much..but that's who I'd do it :-)

Mattia
Hi, honestly I don't have experience with it myself, but I guess it is possible. What I'd do is to write down an equation while defining the plot.... Sorry, I can't help much..but that's who I'd do it :-) Mattia

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月6日 GMT-4 15:03
Mattia,

I found it!

just under Results-derived values right click and then choose minimum and then volume or surface minimum.

Hooman
Mattia, I found it! just under Results-derived values right click and then choose minimum and then volume or surface minimum. Hooman

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.