Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.
Mass conservation violation in a stirred reactor
Posted 2026年3月19日 GMT+8 00:01 Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Chemical Reaction Engineering, Mesh Version 6.2 0 Replies
Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam
Hi,
I would like to simulate a stirred reactor for an aqueous reaction. The stirrer is a huge plate, and the reaction occurs on the surface of this plate. For the flow regime, first, I solve the Frozen Rotor problem. Then, I use the Frozen Rotor solution as the initial condition for a time-dependent study. To study mixing and reaction, I use the flow field obtained from the time-dependent simulation, and I solve another time-dependent study
I am considering an irreversible reaction, for example: A → B. At some point, the concentration of A starts to accumulate inside the reactor, while the concentration of B begins to decrease (which is physically impossible). The trends appear to be very symmetrical. If I disable the reaction, the concentrations becomes stable. There is no accumulation in this case.
I asked ChatGPT about possible reasons for this behavior. I have tried changing the mesh density, adjusting the time steps, and switching the convective term to conservative form (which led to a numerical instability/explosion), and none of these worked for me.
Therefore, I would like to ask whether you have encountered this type of problem before, and what the possible causes or solutions might be.
Thank you for your time and support.
Attachments:
Hello Onur Can Boy
Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.
If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.
