Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

torque and identity pair

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! I'm working on a 3-phase synchronous motor with interior permanent magnets. I have to perform both stationary and time dependent simulations. I split the air gap into two parts connected by an identity pair wih an applied copntinuity in magnetic vector potential. When I try to calculate forces and torques, with the "force calculation" law, on the boundaries connected by the identity pair I always obtain zero (N or Nm) for any position of the rotor!
I've noticed that this happens too with the "2D generator" in the model library.
Do someone know why this happens? And what can I do to overcome the problem??
Thanks
J.

5 Replies Last Post 2017年7月8日 GMT-4 12:29

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月23日 GMT-4 21:48
Hi,

I am also working on three phase synchronous motor, could you share your model here so that I can see and tell you because mine is working fine.

Thanks
Madhu
Hi, I am also working on three phase synchronous motor, could you share your model here so that I can see and tell you because mine is working fine. Thanks Madhu

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月24日 GMT-4 07:05
Hallo Giovanna,

how do you define the domains for the force calculation? You cannot extend the force calculation
to the boundary of the indentity pair. There must be a ring of air in between.

Regards

Jens
Hallo Giovanna, how do you define the domains for the force calculation? You cannot extend the force calculation to the boundary of the indentity pair. There must be a ring of air in between. Regards Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年6月25日 GMT-4 01:42
Hi! Thank you for your answer. If I need to compute the torque (for example cogging torque) in the middle of the air gap, do you mean I have to move the identity pair?Should I place it a bit nearer to the stator or shoul I compute the torque on another boundary nearer to the rotor??
Thanks
J.
Hi! Thank you for your answer. If I need to compute the torque (for example cogging torque) in the middle of the air gap, do you mean I have to move the identity pair?Should I place it a bit nearer to the stator or shoul I compute the torque on another boundary nearer to the rotor?? Thanks J.

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年2月6日 GMT-5 04:59
Hi Giovanna

I'm running the same problem as you did. My model is also an interior mounted PMSM and no matter what initial position for the rotor is given, the average torque is always zero with an amplitude of maximum torque of the machine. I also built a simplified model: one pole model and suprisely this issue won't happen. So I am wondering have you solved this problem? Looking forward to your response.

Best regards
Zhi
Hi Giovanna I'm running the same problem as you did. My model is also an interior mounted PMSM and no matter what initial position for the rotor is given, the average torque is always zero with an amplitude of maximum torque of the machine. I also built a simplified model: one pole model and suprisely this issue won't happen. So I am wondering have you solved this problem? Looking forward to your response. Best regards Zhi

Maria-Sofia Pechlivanidoy

Posted: 7 years ago 2017年7月8日 GMT-4 12:29
I have the same problem with the torque? Are you compute the cogging torque? Has anybody compute Arkkio torque for a PMSM? Can anyone attach his model program file?
2D or 3D or both.
Best regrards.
I have the same problem with the torque? Are you compute the cogging torque? Has anybody compute Arkkio torque for a PMSM? Can anyone attach his model program file? 2D or 3D or both. Best regrards.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.