Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fillet Weld Deformation Model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model the deformation of a fillet weld after heating and cooling, however I am having issues making such a model work.

At this point I am using Thermal Stress with a simple 2D model, two plates with a triangle as the weld metal. I am heating the weld metal, and then trying to have it cool through heat flux off the inside surfaces.

I am able to get it down to a lower temperature, but my the only deformation I am finding is expansion from heating, but from cooling it should have caused the plate to bend in, not out.

Any help on how I could get this to work properly would be appreciated. I am not very experience in COMSOL at all, if that wasn't obvious already.

1 Reply Last Post 2013年8月14日 GMT-4 17:31
Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年8月14日 GMT-4 17:31
Derek,

From probing your results for displacement of the upper tip of the plate, your results show that during the heating (0 to 1 sec) the top of the plate bends out (to the left) and during cooling (1 sec to 10 sec) the plate bends back to vertical.

I'm not sure why you say that the plate bends "in" from cooling.

When making conclusions about displacements it is good to probe the actual numeric values of points or lines rather than relying on the visualization of the deformation. Unless you are sure that the deformation "scale factor" scaling is set to 1 via the check box and edit field in the Settings window. This may be what caused you to come to an incorrect conclusion about your results.

Best regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Derek, From probing your results for displacement of the upper tip of the plate, your results show that during the heating (0 to 1 sec) the top of the plate bends out (to the left) and during cooling (1 sec to 10 sec) the plate bends back to vertical. I'm not sure why you say that the plate bends "in" from cooling. When making conclusions about displacements it is good to probe the actual numeric values of points or lines rather than relying on the visualization of the deformation. Unless you are sure that the deformation "scale factor" scaling is set to 1 via the check box and edit field in the Settings window. This may be what caused you to come to an incorrect conclusion about your results. Best regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.