Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

coil design

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I work on a cold crucible magnetic modelisation with the mf physic around 10 kHz.
I want to design a 2 turns coil according to the real geometry (with little simplifications). I start with a 3D quarter of the real design (symetry axis) but I can't represent a quarter 2 turns coil (there is no coil group option like in 2D-axy; for defining 2 turns in series configuration).
With a quarter of the real design it's work well, but simulation are done with only one turn.
I think that I need to design all the geometry in order to define the 2 turn coil and have external boundaries to put a voltage on single turn coil domain.
I do this but I have always convergence issue "Divergence of the linear iterations".
I try the boundary single turn coil option (the coil is just a surface where it is possible to assign a coil thickness) with no more success. It converge but results are completly different in fonction of the mesh I use.
Anyone have an idea for design this coil or tips for meshing such a structure?

(I can't use lumped port due to the geometry of the coil as it is done in the inductor 3D tutorial)

Thank you for your help

1 Reply Last Post 2013年9月4日 GMT-4 03:39

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年9月4日 GMT-4 03:39
Hello,

I respond to myself. I have found a solution for the modelisation of my 2 turn coil. I use impedance boundary layers for all conductive boundaries aswell for the coil. I use now mef physic with a terminal excitation. I make a parametric frequency study and the global evaluation give me negative resistance for terminal measurements (simulations look like the tutorial inductor 3D). I attach a simple mph file wich shows better what I am talking about.
What can you suggest to me?

Thank tou very much
Hello, I respond to myself. I have found a solution for the modelisation of my 2 turn coil. I use impedance boundary layers for all conductive boundaries aswell for the coil. I use now mef physic with a terminal excitation. I make a parametric frequency study and the global evaluation give me negative resistance for terminal measurements (simulations look like the tutorial inductor 3D). I attach a simple mph file wich shows better what I am talking about. What can you suggest to me? Thank tou very much

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.