Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat trasnfer and fluid flow

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
i am modeling fluid flow (non-iso thermal pipe flow) for fluid flow in a pipe and heat transfer in solids for the ground surrounding the pipe.

i have defined a time dependent power (W/m) to the total length of my pipe. this is defined as function called F(t).
my problem is that the physic still requires a temperature defined at the inlet pipe (Tin)
how can i tell the model to apply temperature adjacent to the inlet pipe as the inlet temp. in other words for example telling the model to take the temperature at (0,0,0.11) which will be obtained from the heat trasnfer physic and apply on this boundary (inlet pipe).
thanks
ASAL

4 Replies Last Post 2013年9月30日 GMT-4 23:34

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年9月29日 GMT-4 18:57
I ma really getting disappointed with this forum as i haven't received even one post for my last three questions asked.
your help is really appreciated.

ASAL
I ma really getting disappointed with this forum as i haven't received even one post for my last three questions asked. your help is really appreciated. ASAL

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年9月29日 GMT-4 21:34
Probably I haven't explained my problem well.
I have 2 physics. fluid flow with Dep variables: pressure, velocity and T) and heat transfer (dependent variable :T2). and both require time dependent studies.

I need to use T2 in a particular location (T2 (x,y,z)) as input (Tin) for the fluid flow physic.
i thought that if I run one study with both physics. any T2 computed by the software would be used as input for the other physic but apparently it is not.

Regards,
ASAL

Probably I haven't explained my problem well. I have 2 physics. fluid flow with Dep variables: pressure, velocity and T) and heat transfer (dependent variable :T2). and both require time dependent studies. I need to use T2 in a particular location (T2 (x,y,z)) as input (Tin) for the fluid flow physic. i thought that if I run one study with both physics. any T2 computed by the software would be used as input for the other physic but apparently it is not. Regards, ASAL

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年9月30日 GMT-4 10:13
Hi, Asal,

You can use several approaches: perhaps the simplest one is to create a Domain Point Probe defined at the point where you want to "take" the temperature. That probe should be available in all the model, and then for the other physics.
Apart from that, there seem to be some problem with the mesh.

Regards.
Jesus.
Hi, Asal, You can use several approaches: perhaps the simplest one is to create a Domain Point Probe defined at the point where you want to "take" the temperature. That probe should be available in all the model, and then for the other physics. Apart from that, there seem to be some problem with the mesh. Regards. Jesus.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年9月30日 GMT-4 23:34
thanks Jesus,
domain point probe did not work for me as I need to define it as my pipe inlet temp. I think if I tell comsol to grab a temperature very close to the pipe wall and apply it to my inlet it should work. but results look very strange.

thanks again
thanks Jesus, domain point probe did not work for me as I need to define it as my pipe inlet temp. I think if I tell comsol to grab a temperature very close to the pipe wall and apply it to my inlet it should work. but results look very strange. thanks again

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.