Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Create a hole on a surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to a create a hole on the surface of a hollow sphere. I understand that I need to draw a circle on a workplane parallel to the face on which I intend to create the hole. In the Work Plane window when I select "face parallel", for some reason it does not allow me to add any of the selected faces of the sphere.

So my question is: How do I draw a hole on the surface of a hollow sphere?

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post 2013年10月22日 GMT-4 22:03
Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月22日 GMT-4 15:55
Deepika-

I'm not sure what you mean by a plane parallel to the surface of a sphere?

I would suggest using a cylinder as a cutting tool and then a Boolean operation to union or difference the sphere and the cylinder. In this way you should be able to create the hole in the sphere. You may also need to use the "Delete Entities" operation to remove the cutout surface.

--
Best regards,
Josh Thomas
AltaSim Technologies
Deepika- I'm not sure what you mean by a plane parallel to the surface of a sphere? I would suggest using a cylinder as a cutting tool and then a Boolean operation to union or difference the sphere and the cylinder. In this way you should be able to create the hole in the sphere. You may also need to use the "Delete Entities" operation to remove the cutout surface. -- Best regards, Josh Thomas AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月22日 GMT-4 22:03
Thanks Josh.

I finally was able to create a hole by extruding a circle from a work plane and then taking a difference of the extrusion from the sphere.

Thanks
Deepika
Thanks Josh. I finally was able to create a hole by extruding a circle from a work plane and then taking a difference of the extrusion from the sphere. Thanks Deepika

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.