Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

particle emission from a fixed point?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to make a charged particle tracing simulation. It seems to me that I can only specify an inlet at the boundary of a domain, i.e. of finite extension. Is it possible to specify particle emission from a single point?

Another question: is it possible to emit particles according to 2D gaussian distributions (Twiss ellipses) in the (x,x') and (y,y') phase spaces? (x and y are the transverse coordinates to the propagation direction, and x' and y' are their derivatives w.r.t. the z coordinate). Do I need to do it using the API?

Thank you
Daniel

2 Replies Last Post 2013年11月6日 GMT-5 14:15
Zoran Vidakovic, COMSOL COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年10月28日 GMT-4 05:59
Dear Daniel,

Try the feature "Release from Grid" where you can define initial coordinates.
Regarding the release distribution you could define the initial particle velocity as function of emission angles, which could be expressed (as far as I remember) by the particle index and the predefined random number generator (uniform or Gaussian distribution types).

For further details on the specific implementation feel free to contact our Particle Tracing experts via technical support:
www.ch.comsol.com/support

Best regards,
Zoran
Dear Daniel, Try the feature "Release from Grid" where you can define initial coordinates. Regarding the release distribution you could define the initial particle velocity as function of emission angles, which could be expressed (as far as I remember) by the particle index and the predefined random number generator (uniform or Gaussian distribution types). For further details on the specific implementation feel free to contact our Particle Tracing experts via technical support: http://www.ch.comsol.com/support Best regards, Zoran

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月6日 GMT-5 14:15
Hello,
I have tried this, and specified a point which is surely within the simulated volume. In this case I do not see any particle trajectories - I am no expert yet to be able to see behind the scenes and figure out why, and what went wrong. Still trying to figure out.
Thank you
Daniel
Hello, I have tried this, and specified a point which is surely within the simulated volume. In this case I do not see any particle trajectories - I am no expert yet to be able to see behind the scenes and figure out why, and what went wrong. Still trying to figure out. Thank you Daniel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.