Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Store Iteration Results to Prove Convergence?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

Does anyone know how I can plot the solution of a point evaluation with each iteration as it solves? I want to do this as when the number stops changing it helps prove that the solution has converged. When I solve however the data for each iteration isn't recorded.

Thanks in advance

Josh

3 Replies Last Post 2013年11月12日 GMT-5 05:21
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月5日 GMT-5 14:00
Hi,

It seems like what you are looking for is a probe plot. Create a Probe under Definitions. Under Results while solving in the study step you can control the plotting of probes.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, It seems like what you are looking for is a probe plot. Create a Probe under Definitions. Under Results while solving in the study step you can control the plotting of probes. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月11日 GMT-5 06:07
Thanks for your response however I still can get it to work. I've created a probe under definitions then select:

step 1: frequency domain > Results while solving > plot > probes > all.

This gives me a graph of the probe solution with just a single point. I cant seem to get the x-axis to show iteration number (as with the convergence graph) and have each iteration solution shown. Any ideas where I may be going wrong?

Thanks

Josh
Thanks for your response however I still can get it to work. I've created a probe under definitions then select: step 1: frequency domain > Results while solving > plot > probes > all. This gives me a graph of the probe solution with just a single point. I cant seem to get the x-axis to show iteration number (as with the convergence graph) and have each iteration solution shown. Any ideas where I may be going wrong? Thanks Josh

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月12日 GMT-5 05:21
Hi,

You must also switch on the probe plot in the 'Results while solving' section in the 'Fully coupled' node in the solver sequence in order to get each iteration plotted. From the 'Stationary' level only each converged solution is plotted.

Sorry that my previous answer was incomplete.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, You must also switch on the probe plot in the 'Results while solving' section in the 'Fully coupled' node in the solver sequence in order to get each iteration plotted. From the 'Stationary' level only each converged solution is plotted. Sorry that my previous answer was incomplete. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.