Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deformed cantilever length

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a cantilever, clamped at one end, 100 units long. It bends under its own weight (so, add a body load in the z direction of solid.rho*g_const).

Now, since this cantilever is bending downwards, the top surface will be stretched and will be longer than 100 units (like, 100.1 units or something) and the bottom will be shorter (like, 99.9 units or something). I need to calculate the length along the top surface of the cantilever. So the output number I desire is 100.1 or something.

To do this, I try: Model 1 > Definitions > Right click and add Integration > select the edge running down the side of the cantilever > Call it intop1. Solve the model and then collect the result under Results > Derived Value > Global Evaluation > Expression = intop1(1). I am integrating unity here so that I get the length in units of meters. Integral of 1 with respect to dx is just the length.

Now, I have tried this with Frame = Mesh, Geometry, Material, Spatial. None of them work. They all give me an answer of 100 rather than 100.1.

How do I integrate along the length of the DEFORMED cantilever?

I have attached a similar model in case you need to take a look. Though this model has a few extra things.

Thanks!

(Of course this is a simple example so you may say I should do it analytically - in fact the actual model is more complicated and there is no analytical solution. So COMSOL it is!)

4 Replies Last Post 2013年11月7日 GMT-5 08:33
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月6日 GMT-5 02:04
Hi,

You were almost there. The correct thing to do is to integrate (1) on the Spatial frame. But in order to get a difference between the Material and the Spatial frame you must activate Geometric Nonlinearity for the study step.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, You were almost there. The correct thing to do is to integrate (1) on the Spatial frame. But in order to get a difference between the Material and the Spatial frame you must activate Geometric Nonlinearity for the study step. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月6日 GMT-5 13:19
Great! Thanks. I found the checkbox for Geometric Nonlinearity.

However now my model won't solve. I get this error message:
> Failed to find a solution.
> Maximum number of Newton iterations reached.
> Returned solution is not converged.

I've tried various things including changing the mesh from free tetrahedral to a well-defined rectangular swept mesh, and having far fewer mesh points, because I thought it might be a meshing issue. Any ideas? I've attached my model.

Thanks!
Great! Thanks. I found the checkbox for Geometric Nonlinearity. However now my model won't solve. I get this error message: > Failed to find a solution. > Maximum number of Newton iterations reached. > Returned solution is not converged. I've tried various things including changing the mesh from free tetrahedral to a well-defined rectangular swept mesh, and having far fewer mesh points, because I thought it might be a meshing issue. Any ideas? I've attached my model. Thanks!

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月6日 GMT-5 13:28
Never mind, I just had to keep playing with the mesh. The ONLY setting I've found so far that it works on is Free Tetrahedral mesh with "Finer" size (the other sizes, Fine, Normal, Extra Fine, Coarse, ... , don't work).

So this is okay - but could anyone enlighten me why the other mesh sizes (and rectangular swept mesh for that matter) don't work, and what I might do in the future to be able to solve for any arbitrary mesh?

Thanks
Never mind, I just had to keep playing with the mesh. The ONLY setting I've found so far that it works on is Free Tetrahedral mesh with "Finer" size (the other sizes, Fine, Normal, Extra Fine, Coarse, ... , don't work). So this is okay - but could anyone enlighten me why the other mesh sizes (and rectangular swept mesh for that matter) don't work, and what I might do in the future to be able to solve for any arbitrary mesh? Thanks

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2013年11月7日 GMT-5 08:33
Hi,

If the geometrically nonlinar analysis has convergence problems, your model probably has very large deformations. If so, you must increase the load gradually using a continuation parameter rather than applying the full load in one step.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, If the geometrically nonlinar analysis has convergence problems, your model probably has very large deformations. If so, you must increase the load gradually using a continuation parameter rather than applying the full load in one step. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.