Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

extract particle data on cut line

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I've built a 2D axis symmetric model in which particles go trough an electrical field. Now I'd like to extract the particle positions and velocities on a cut line. I've found the Poincaré map in the plot nodes, but I am not interessted in nice pictures, but in the data.
Any suggestions how I do that?

Cheers,
Gero Storeck

2 Replies Last Post 2014年2月14日 GMT-5 04:38
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年2月14日 GMT-5 02:02
You can export the data in the plot to a file as follows:

1. Create a Poincaré map plot.
2. Select the plot in the Model Builder and right-click on it.
3. Choose "Add Plot Data to Export" on the context menu. This results in a Plot node being created under Results > Export.
4. Browse to a filename in the Plot export node.
5. Click on Export in the toolbar.
You can export the data in the plot to a file as follows: 1. Create a Poincaré map plot. 2. Select the plot in the Model Builder and right-click on it. 3. Choose "Add Plot Data to Export" on the context menu. This results in a Plot node being created under Results > Export. 4. Browse to a filename in the Plot export node. 5. Click on Export in the toolbar.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年2月14日 GMT-5 04:38
Thanks for the hint. But I think I need further input.

I am modeling 3D particle propagation in a axissymmetric 2D eletrical field. There is a unsolved thread about that topic already (www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/23345/). I hope the 'Include out-of-plane degrees of freedom' takes care of this.
But the created dataset 'Particle 1' only includes two position coordinates 'comp1.qr, comp1.qz'. That means I cannot use a 2D cut plane because the qphi component is missing. Funny thing is that I can extract this data (qr, qphi, qz) via 'export' or the livelink to matlab.
The dimensions for plotting don't fit unfortunatly. My goal is to extract the positions, velocities and the hit time at different planes perpendicular to the symmetry axis.

Cheers,
Gero Storeck

Thanks for the hint. But I think I need further input. I am modeling 3D particle propagation in a axissymmetric 2D eletrical field. There is a unsolved thread about that topic already (http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/23345/). I hope the 'Include out-of-plane degrees of freedom' takes care of this. But the created dataset 'Particle 1' only includes two position coordinates 'comp1.qr, comp1.qz'. That means I cannot use a 2D cut plane because the qphi component is missing. Funny thing is that I can extract this data (qr, qphi, qz) via 'export' or the livelink to matlab. The dimensions for plotting don't fit unfortunatly. My goal is to extract the positions, velocities and the hit time at different planes perpendicular to the symmetry axis. Cheers, Gero Storeck

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.