Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Profiling/Optimizing Comsol Simulations

Andrew Prudil Nuclear Materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has tips/suggestions for optimizing solution times in Comsol 4.4? I have produced a model, which is taking far longer to solver than I would like, and I'm trying to isolate the cause. Many programing/development environments can produce breakdowns of code execution time/performance, is it possible to do this in Comsol? Perhaps via matlab or JAVA? I would like to know how much time is being spent on various tasks so I can intelligently scale back the expensive parts. For example, my model requires many function evaluations (Bessels, interpolation, ramps). I'd like to be sure that the combined execution time of these features is not the problem.

Depending on my input parameters, my model can take several minutes to run to several days. My current largest is approximately 1M DOF. The model is a 2D time-dependent simulation with coupled heat-transfer, solid-mechanics, contact, 5 domain ODE, two geometries, coupling operators and a deformed geometry. For example, one time-step of this model required six iterations of the non-linear solver (Paradiso) and took about 3 minutes on a 12-core Xeon server (with significantly more ram than required).

Is there a simple way of visualizing the Jacobian to check the sparsity? I've tried using the nojac operator to improve the sparsity of the Jacobian matrix with the coupling operators.

0 Replies Last Post 2014年4月1日 GMT-4 15:09
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Andrew Prudil

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.