Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupled eigenvalue problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I am using Comsol 4.2's acoustics module to simulate some thermoacoustic instabilities.
The whole process can be described by an inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation.
A simple n-tau-model is used to relate the velocity fluctuation upstream of the heat release zone to the pressure fluctuations within the heat release zone. This should render the involved matrices non-symmetric and result in truly complex eigenfrequencies (i.e., eigenfrequencies with non-vanishing real and imaginary parts). However, the resulting eigenfrequencies are real and identical to the resonance frequencies which are obtained, if no heat release is considered. Moreover, the solver log states that symmetric matrices were found. Even if the solver is forced to use a non-symmetric algorithm, no improvement is gained. Interestingly, the documentation states "Because they are independent of the pressure, the solver ignores any dipole and monopole sources unless you are solving a coupled eigenvalue problem." under the topic "Eigenfrequency Study" . And indeed, I modeled the heat release zone using a monopole source. I implemented the velocity relation with an average operator taken from the Model Couplings bullet in the model's Definitions node. I thought that Comsol automatically recognizes that it should perform a coupled eigenvalue problem analysis. Apparently, this seems not to be the case. So how is this done?

I attached a minimum working example to this request.

Thank you in advance
Georg Mensah

1 Reply Last Post 2016年1月29日 GMT-5 09:59
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Georg Mensah

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年1月29日 GMT-5 09:59
Hello,

Do you have a reference for the equation used for your monopole source in your attached .mph file? I am looking at a similar problem, and found your explanation of coupling helpful.

Thank you
Hello, Do you have a reference for the equation used for your monopole source in your attached .mph file? I am looking at a similar problem, and found your explanation of coupling helpful. Thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.