Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Working with components

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a large large model which would be great if I could break it into components. These are flow problems and the downstream pressure drop is not that great, so I don't think there should be much affect in the upstream direction.

In fact, COMSOL offers the ability for me to do this, by clicking on Root and permitting me to add a component.

After that, it gets a little iffy.

To couple the components, I should use th extrusion operator. The outlet flow from one component should be coupled into the inlet flow of the next component. But actually, it seems easier to use the identity operator, because the duct of one is the same size as the duct of the other.

Unfortunately, however, I've never actually gotten them to be geometrically coherent. And so I get errors telling me that the extrusion operator could not map a given destination point to a source point.

I like the ability to take a work plane and stick it to a surface by selecting "face parallel." This would guarantee coherence between the geometries. But I can't do this because once I make the face from component 1 appear, the work plane definition for component 2 disappears.

Anyone have any idea how to access the geometry of one component in a subsequent component?

2 Replies Last Post 2014年6月4日 GMT-4 20:37

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年6月4日 GMT-4 15:09
Maybe I should build everything in one component, but only restrict the solvers to solve, say:

step 1 solve for time dependence on domain 1
step 2 solve for time dependence on domain 2
step 3 solve for time dependence on domain 3

This way I could continue building on the last section, but the solution would be decomposed. And in the end I could run it all together if I wanted to.
Maybe I should build everything in one component, but only restrict the solvers to solve, say: step 1 solve for time dependence on domain 1 step 2 solve for time dependence on domain 2 step 3 solve for time dependence on domain 3 This way I could continue building on the last section, but the solution would be decomposed. And in the end I could run it all together if I wanted to.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2014年6月4日 GMT-4 20:37
Ah, it's not such a great idea to try to model a single component in two halves, because the mesher ends up doing the whole geometry anyway.

So I have to use components, not try to direct the solver to different parts of the geometry.

This means I have to get the extrusion operator to work. Please help.
Ah, it's not such a great idea to try to model a single component in two halves, because the mesher ends up doing the whole geometry anyway. So I have to use components, not try to direct the solver to different parts of the geometry. This means I have to get the extrusion operator to work. Please help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.