Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deformed geometry model converges until I try to use the lagrange multiplier

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm trying to model the growth of a cavity in a block of ice in response to a flow of hot air. I have a model that works fairly well, with conjugate heat transfer and a deformed geometry to track the air / ice interface as melting progresses. At least, it works fine as long as I prescribe the melting rate at a fixed value of 0.001 m/s. In order to simulate melting I followed the approach of the Tin Melting Front example "Stefan problem" model: set the boundary temperature as a weak constraint, and use the lagrange multiplier as input to a prescribed normal deformation on that boundary.

The problem is that whenever I switch from the fixed value to the "Stefan problem" expression for the Prescribed Normal Mesh Velocity, my model no longer converges -- it says:

Nonlinear solver did not converge.
Time: 0
Attempt to evaluate real square root of negative number.

The model is attached. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Aaron

2 Replies Last Post 2014年11月25日 GMT-5 11:22
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Aaron Curtis

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月25日 GMT-5 09:20
Hej Aaron,

I am having roughly the same problem. Did you find a solution for yours, I would be keen to know.

best regards
leonard
Hej Aaron, I am having roughly the same problem. Did you find a solution for yours, I would be keen to know. best regards leonard

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 10 years ago 2014年11月25日 GMT-5 11:22
There are a couple of things to try when Time 0 in a time dependent analysis does not converge. One is to apply all loads gradually so that there are no discontinuities at Time 0. Another is to use more “stringent” solver settings helps, usually at the cost of a slower solver. I tried this second approach on your model by changing the Jacobian update in your Fully Coupled solver to “On every iteration”. That worked for a few time steps and then fails again. I hope this helps.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
There are a couple of things to try when Time 0 in a time dependent analysis does not converge. One is to apply all loads gradually so that there are no discontinuities at Time 0. Another is to use more “stringent” solver settings helps, usually at the cost of a slower solver. I tried this second approach on your model by changing the Jacobian update in your Fully Coupled solver to “On every iteration”. That worked for a few time steps and then fails again. I hope this helps. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.