Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding the average and standard deviation of a volume

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am modelling the formation of standing acoustic waves inside of a cavity network. My model agrees with experimental results on a qualitative level.

Now I am trying to find ways to minimize formation of standing waves. For this I need a way to quantify my results. My first thought is that by taking the average and standard deviation of the pressure inside my cavity, I'll be able to tell how "strong" the standing wave effect is. A larger standard deviation would suggest to me that the standing waves aren't dampened as much or are driven stronger than a result with a smaller standard deviation. A standard deviation of 0 would tell me that there is no wave formation at all and this is basically the trivial answer where nothing is happening in the system.

Okay, so now to the COMSOL part: I have no idea how I would go about doing this, if it's at all possible. I have tried using volume averages and the like, but those only seem to work when I select multiple data sets from the same study. It will take an average of those multiple data sets instead.

Is COMSOL even capable of doing what I want? If not, does anybody have any suggestions on where to proceed from here? Thank you.

0 Replies Last Post 2014年7月19日 GMT-4 16:31
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Damian Rivas

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.