Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Domain plots

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I used to effectively generate contour plots of expressions defined in interior (also exterior) boundaries in Comsol 3.5 with the Domain Plot postprocessing options.

Any idea of how to do the same in Comsol 4? Thanks.

9 Replies Last Post 2016年6月10日 GMT-4 10:12

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年7月6日 GMT-4 17:43
Yeah, I met the same problem. I try to find a way to display results for one subdomain or certain subdomains in Comsol 4.0. However, there is no Suppress command under the options menu as we can see in Comsol3.5.

I tried to establish another solution in Results, and chose the certain subdomains and plotted, but it did not work.

Is there any idea?

Thanks in advance!
Yeah, I met the same problem. I try to find a way to display results for one subdomain or certain subdomains in Comsol 4.0. However, there is no Suppress command under the options menu as we can see in Comsol3.5. I tried to establish another solution in Results, and chose the certain subdomains and plotted, but it did not work. Is there any idea? Thanks in advance!

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年7月7日 GMT-4 06:17
There seems to be a way by using the option 'selection' in the solution data set (e.g. solution1). When the selection is added one can select the domains of interest. The solutions in the chosen domains can then be displayed in 3D plots. This works fine. However, I do not seem to find a way to display solutions in 2D plots in case of boundary selections, as it used to be in v3.5.
There seems to be a way by using the option 'selection' in the solution data set (e.g. solution1). When the selection is added one can select the domains of interest. The solutions in the chosen domains can then be displayed in 3D plots. This works fine. However, I do not seem to find a way to display solutions in 2D plots in case of boundary selections, as it used to be in v3.5.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年7月10日 GMT-4 13:40
Hi

Have ou tried to do a right click on the "Data Set" and add a "Cut plane" at you coordinate of interest, then you can make a 2D surface plot of this "cut plane data" (as a sub-selection of the global 3D solution) In fact with the right clicks you can add several levels of plot options, including changing x axis expressions .

There is still quite a lot for COMSOL to document but you have mostly everything in the plottings options, once you find out where to look

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Have ou tried to do a right click on the "Data Set" and add a "Cut plane" at you coordinate of interest, then you can make a 2D surface plot of this "cut plane data" (as a sub-selection of the global 3D solution) In fact with the right clicks you can add several levels of plot options, including changing x axis expressions . There is still quite a lot for COMSOL to document but you have mostly everything in the plottings options, once you find out where to look Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月23日 GMT-5 10:42

Hi guys,

@ Toni Lopez
I am trying to surpress certain domains in a 3D-plot and I followed your description, without success.
Creating the selection and adding domains to this selection was a piece of cake, but what to do next?
I am not able to modify or create new plots regarding the selection. At this point your description seems a little weak to me. Maybe you can explain in detail how it could be done.

[QUOTE] There seems to be a way by using the option 'selection' in the solution data set (e.g. solution1). When the selection is added one can select the domains of interest. The solutions in the chosen domains can then be displayed in 3D plots. This works fine. However, I do not seem to find a way to display solutions in 2D plots in case of boundary selections, as it used to be in v3.5. [/QUOTE] Hi guys, @ Toni Lopez I am trying to surpress certain domains in a 3D-plot and I followed your description, without success. Creating the selection and adding domains to this selection was a piece of cake, but what to do next? I am not able to modify or create new plots regarding the selection. At this point your description seems a little weak to me. Maybe you can explain in detail how it could be done.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月23日 GMT-5 15:41
Hi

there are two things one can do: select a view to "hide" items (objects or entitites), to avoid that these are plotted, for that in the Definitions node you add a view, and add a subnode hide entity or hide objects depending on what yu would like to hide. These items are then not shown of he later graphs if this view is actif.

Then you can take you solution, duplicate it or not, add acopy but defined on a cut line, cut plane ... or other more or less complex operations on the solution set.

Check the doc and the help for these nodes

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there are two things one can do: select a view to "hide" items (objects or entitites), to avoid that these are plotted, for that in the Definitions node you add a view, and add a subnode hide entity or hide objects depending on what yu would like to hide. These items are then not shown of he later graphs if this view is actif. Then you can take you solution, duplicate it or not, add acopy but defined on a cut line, cut plane ... or other more or less complex operations on the solution set. Check the doc and the help for these nodes -- Good luck Ivar

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年11月24日 GMT-5 03:44
Hi,

COSMOL version 4.1 includes new Surface and Edge data sets that make it possible to use 2D and 1D plot groups to create, for example, a 2D contour plot on a boundary (face) in a 3D model (the equivalent of a domain plot in version 3.5).

It is also possble to add a Selection subnode to a Solution data set to exclude some domains or boundaries from, for example, 3D surface plots using that solution.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Hi, COSMOL version 4.1 includes new Surface and Edge data sets that make it possible to use 2D and 1D plot groups to create, for example, a 2D contour plot on a boundary (face) in a 3D model (the equivalent of a domain plot in version 3.5). It is also possble to add a Selection subnode to a Solution data set to exclude some domains or boundaries from, for example, 3D surface plots using that solution. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Nicholas Goldring Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月9日 GMT-4 16:18

Hi,

COSMOL version 4.1 includes new Surface and Edge data sets that make it possible to use 2D and 1D plot groups to create, for example, a 2D contour plot on a boundary (face) in a 3D model (the equivalent of a domain plot in version 3.5).

It is also possble to add a Selection subnode to a Solution data set to exclude some domains or boundaries from, for example, 3D surface plots using that solution.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Hey there Magnus, I don't suppose you might be able to help me figure out how to make a 2D deformation plot based on the data from the face of a 3D model?
[QUOTE] Hi, COSMOL version 4.1 includes new Surface and Edge data sets that make it possible to use 2D and 1D plot groups to create, for example, a 2D contour plot on a boundary (face) in a 3D model (the equivalent of a domain plot in version 3.5). It is also possble to add a Selection subnode to a Solution data set to exclude some domains or boundaries from, for example, 3D surface plots using that solution. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL [/QUOTE] Hey there Magnus, I don't suppose you might be able to help me figure out how to make a 2D deformation plot based on the data from the face of a 3D model?

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月10日 GMT-4 09:04
Hello Nicholas,
Let me assume that the face in question is planar. Depending on what you'd like your plot to look like, you can
a/ Create a new data set that's a duplicate of your solution data set and apply a selection to restrict it to the face in question, then use the newly created data set for a new 3D plot group with a surface plot, itself with a deformation feature, see attached file.
or
b/ Create a Surface data set based on the face you want and add a surface plot in a 2D plot group based on that Surface data set, see attached file.

If the face is not planar, the former approach is likely what you'll want to follow.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Nicholas, Let me assume that the face in question is planar. Depending on what you'd like your plot to look like, you can a/ Create a new data set that's a duplicate of your solution data set and apply a selection to restrict it to the face in question, then use the newly created data set for a new 3D plot group with a surface plot, itself with a deformation feature, see attached file. or b/ Create a Surface data set based on the face you want and add a surface plot in a 2D plot group based on that Surface data set, see attached file. If the face is not planar, the former approach is likely what you'll want to follow. Best, Jeff

Nicholas Goldring Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 2016年6月10日 GMT-4 10:12
Got it. It is planar and at first I used a cut plane but then I chose to create a data set where I selected the surface of the undeformed geometry that I was interested and the results seemed a bit better. Thanks for the quick reply.
Got it. It is planar and at first I used a cut plane but then I chose to create a data set where I selected the surface of the undeformed geometry that I was interested and the results seemed a bit better. Thanks for the quick reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.