Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh memory for large model in parallel computing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with solving a large model in parallel computing with comsol. I have a distributed-parallel processing system with 6 nodes, each has 16 cores. And i have 128 Gb of virtual memory for each node.

The problem is that when I run a large size model, the meshing step is very memory consuming and needs more than 200 Gb for some models and I get out of memory.
It seems that the meshing step in comsol is not parallelized and does'nt benefit from the total virtual memory of all nodes but is using the same memory in each node.

Can you please bring me some clarity on this point because i lost a lot of trying to fix it?

Best regards!
Bachir

2 Replies Last Post 2015年4月20日 GMT-4 10:11

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月19日 GMT-4 14:11
Ouch! What's the mesh count that results? Since generating a solution takes memory and time roughly proportional to the square of the mesh count if you can find a way to reduce the mesh count that will help a lot.
Ouch! What's the mesh count that results? Since generating a solution takes memory and time roughly proportional to the square of the mesh count if you can find a way to reduce the mesh count that will help a lot.

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月20日 GMT-4 10:11
Hello Osman,

If your meshing is taking that much memory, consider partitioning your models and meshing only a few domains at a time. For more details, please see:
www.comsol.com/blogs/improving-your-meshing-with-partitioning/

Best Regards,
Hello Osman, If your meshing is taking that much memory, consider partitioning your models and meshing only a few domains at a time. For more details, please see: http://www.comsol.com/blogs/improving-your-meshing-with-partitioning/ Best Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.