Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

calculating the resistance of a wire

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
Can anyone help me with calculating the resistance of a wire using AC/DC Module>Electrostatics(es)?
it's totally simple using Electrical Currents(ec) physics, how about (es)?

Thanks

6 Replies Last Post 2015年4月24日 GMT-4 14:39

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月20日 GMT-4 16:14
I was waiting for someone to answer this, but what I can add is there's generally two ways to determine resistance:

1. to solve a stationary problem with a small bias, solving current, and then take the ratio of voltage to current, taking care to adjust for if you've used any symmetric boundaries (eg simulating 1/2 the structure means you need to divide the resulting ratio by 2).
2. to do a small-signal analysis and find the admittance term for one of the terminals @ DC at zero bias. The resistance = 1 / the admittance. Again you need to adjust for any symmetric boundaries.

Maybe someone else can give more information.
I was waiting for someone to answer this, but what I can add is there's generally two ways to determine resistance: 1. to solve a stationary problem with a small bias, solving current, and then take the ratio of voltage to current, taking care to adjust for if you've used any symmetric boundaries (eg simulating 1/2 the structure means you need to divide the resulting ratio by 2). 2. to do a small-signal analysis and find the admittance term for one of the terminals @ DC at zero bias. The resistance = 1 / the admittance. Again you need to adjust for any symmetric boundaries. Maybe someone else can give more information.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月21日 GMT-4 05:06

I was waiting for someone to answer this, but what I can add is there's generally two ways to determine resistance:

1. to solve a stationary problem with a small bias, solving current, and then take the ratio of voltage to current, taking care to adjust for if you've used any symmetric boundaries (eg simulating 1/2 the structure means you need to divide the resulting ratio by 2).
2. to do a small-signal analysis and find the admittance term for one of the terminals @ DC at zero bias. The resistance = 1 / the admittance. Again you need to adjust for any symmetric boundaries.

Maybe someone else can give more information.

Dear Daniel

thanks for your reply.
Actually I have a simple DC Model (a cylinder), calculating the resistance exactly as you said like taking the ratio of voltage to current and then comparing the result with my analytical calculations.
However, I am interested in trying out the same model in different physics in order to find out the probable changes in the resistance value.
so you suggest trying the signal analysis rather than (es)?

Thanks
[QUOTE] I was waiting for someone to answer this, but what I can add is there's generally two ways to determine resistance: 1. to solve a stationary problem with a small bias, solving current, and then take the ratio of voltage to current, taking care to adjust for if you've used any symmetric boundaries (eg simulating 1/2 the structure means you need to divide the resulting ratio by 2). 2. to do a small-signal analysis and find the admittance term for one of the terminals @ DC at zero bias. The resistance = 1 / the admittance. Again you need to adjust for any symmetric boundaries. Maybe someone else can give more information. [/QUOTE] Dear Daniel thanks for your reply. Actually I have a simple DC Model (a cylinder), calculating the resistance exactly as you said like taking the ratio of voltage to current and then comparing the result with my analytical calculations. However, I am interested in trying out the same model in different physics in order to find out the probable changes in the resistance value. so you suggest trying the signal analysis rather than (es)? Thanks

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月21日 GMT-4 09:58
In the resistor library example there's a parameter: ec.R11 which is the resistance extracted using small-signal analysis. This is the small-signal resistance of contact 1.
In the resistor library example there's a parameter: ec.R11 which is the resistance extracted using small-signal analysis. This is the small-signal resistance of contact 1.

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月23日 GMT-4 05:09
Good point. Thanks Daniel ;)
Good point. Thanks Daniel ;)

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月24日 GMT-4 05:58
Hello again Daniel :)
just one more question! :)
you know I only have the option of calculating the parameter ec.R11, when I have the ground as boundary condition.
can't we calculate it when having a positive and negative Voltage terminals?

Thanks
Hello again Daniel :) just one more question! :) you know I only have the option of calculating the parameter ec.R11, when I have the ground as boundary condition. can't we calculate it when having a positive and negative Voltage terminals? Thanks

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年4月24日 GMT-4 14:39
The meaning of R11 in the AC sense is ∂V1 / ∂I1 with all other terminals held constant. This is presumably 1 / ( ∂I1 / ∂V1) with all other terminals held constant. It's a small signal determination, operating on incremental changes, and so the voltage on other terminals as long as those nodes is constant doesn't matter.

Resistance (and admittance) are matrixes, so you can also calculate, for example, gmn ≣ ∂Im / ∂Vn for terminals m and n. That means if I change the voltage on terminal n with all other terminals held constant than what is the change in the current at terminal m. An example is transconductance in transistors.

The meaning of R11 in the AC sense is ∂V1 / ∂I1 with all other terminals held constant. This is presumably 1 / ( ∂I1 / ∂V1) with all other terminals held constant. It's a small signal determination, operating on incremental changes, and so the voltage on other terminals as long as those nodes is constant doesn't matter. Resistance (and admittance) are matrixes, so you can also calculate, for example, gmn ≣ ∂Im / ∂Vn for terminals m and n. That means if I change the voltage on terminal n with all other terminals held constant than what is the change in the current at terminal m. An example is transconductance in transistors.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.