Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

coupling compression heating and heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I just started working with Comsol, because I want to solve the following problem:
I am compressing a polymer, which results in a compression heating. The adiabatic case can be calculated with the Joule-Thomson-equation: (alpha*T*delta p)/(rho*cp)
I solved this iterative in Matlab for fast compression (adiabatic) and the results are in good agreement with my measurements.
Now I want to combine the compression heating with heat transfer using Comsol. That occurs when the pressure is applied slower. For example, a pressure of 10 bar could be applied in 0.1 or 1 s. The slower the compression, the more time is for heat conduction.
After some tutorials, the heat transfer itself isn't problem. I tried adding a heat source, but even if I would calculate Q in Matlab, I couldn't implement it time-dependent. As the heating itself depends on the temperature (T) and the density (rho) depends on the increase in pressure (delta p), I couldn't find a way to define it as a variable in the global definitions either.
But I am looking for a way to couple it with a time-dependent heat source.

Any suggestions, what I could try to couple my heat transfer with a time-dependent heat source ?

Thanks a lot,
Natalie

2 Replies Last Post 2015年12月19日 GMT-5 04:36
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Natalie Rudolph

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2010年10月16日 GMT-4 20:54
Natalie,

I'm attempting a similar problem, but rather than compressing a polymer, I'm compressing air, which I would like to treat as an ideal gas. Could you tell me how you managed to do the compression heating portion? I can't even get that to work.

Thanks!
Natalie, I'm attempting a similar problem, but rather than compressing a polymer, I'm compressing air, which I would like to treat as an ideal gas. Could you tell me how you managed to do the compression heating portion? I can't even get that to work. Thanks!

Abdulrahman Al Rumaidh

Posted: 9 years ago 2015年12月19日 GMT-5 04:36
Hi,

One of the conditions for the Joule-Thomson effect to be valid is to NOT to treat the gas as an ideal gas.

Check this useful link:

www.comsol.com/multiphysics/joule-thomson-effect

Regards,
Hi, One of the conditions for the Joule-Thomson effect to be valid is to NOT to treat the gas as an ideal gas. Check this useful link: https://www.comsol.com/multiphysics/joule-thomson-effect Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.